The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

EVO 9 MR SUSPENSION ON GVR4

BLUELIGHTSBABY

Hi, I know there are a few post already about the EVO struts and shocks on the galant vr4. However, some things were not discussed. So that is why I am posting. Current configuration is: H&R springs on adjustable KYBs that are blown out. Hence the reason for upgrading. I was able to purchase a full set of EVO 9 MR (yellow Bilsteins) that came with no hardware. (no springs, no top hats).

I am wanting to know, will the H&R springs on my GVR4 work with the EVO struts and shocks? Or would it be better to buy after market springs for the EVO struts and shocks?

Top hats? I have read, that you can use the stock VR4 top hats with the EVO struts and shocks, however there is always the issue of camber being correct, sooo? Who makes camber plates for the GVR4 that are reasonable in price?

Any good advice and knowledge in this area from personal experience would be great ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Thanks

Last edited:

TRBODSM

Springs will fit. You need to use gvr4 top hats for the fronts and Evo/Dsm/gvr4 rear top hats will fit the same. You would need an alignment after installing new suspension anyways. The fronts need spacers made to fit snug on the knuckle. The rears need to be modified to fit 1g/gvr4 subframe since they are not the fork style.

curtis

Go do a search all your answers are here on the board but this may help

click me

click

prove_it

the mr suspension doesn't fit. You better sell them to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BLUELIGHTSBABY

Thank you for the advice. Just trying to save pennies here. Looks like my weekend is planed out now ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

bmxr152

I have them on my vr4 obviously they were modded to fit, but i love them. I went from hotbits to the mr bilsteins and i gotta say they ride as good as hotbits without the extra travel. The springs were cut down and he rear socks have to be modified by welding the stock bottom bushing into the fork style of the evo shock.

BLUELIGHTSBABY

Well I went all out on this one. I made contact with the seller of the EVO struts and shocks, and He was able to offer me the Eibach pro kit he had on the struts and shocks, along with the EVO top hats and all hardware. I feel good that I got a very sweet deal on all this stuff. Im so looking forward to a smooth ride. Thanks for all the advice and comments on this mod.

BLUELIGHTSBABY

OK, After a long weekend of replacement of old, and upgrade to new. I'm hoping I can add a little info for any Galant VR4 owner looking to upgrade to EVO 9 MR suspension. I can report the ride is taunt, and stiff, but absorbs bumps in the roadway well, and it's what I expected.

#1 I would search the forums "for sale" sections and check Ebay regularly for a good new/ used set of EVO MR Bilsteins. If you can get all the hardware with the struts and shocks, that is your best bet. Personally, I would stay away from High mileage units. Anything over 40,000 miles, I'd stay clear of, unless you have the budget to have the units rebuilt by Bilstein. I read it's around $75.00 per unit, then you have shipping.

#2 If you would like to limit the amount of modification to the front strut towers, then just reuse the stock Galant VR4 top hats. This way, you don't have to drill new holes to accommodate the EVO top hats. However, I decided to use the EVO MR units. As far as one being stronger or more stiff of a metal, I didn't see any major differences between the two.

#3 On the EVO MR strut ears, you will need (2) 1/8 inch shims. I used aluminum bar plate, and drilled the two holes out to match the bolt holes in the EVO MR strut ears. I only used one shim per side, as there was not enough room in between the ear and spindle knuckle to get a second shim in. When I tightened the nuts down, it pulled the other side of the ear in. I would say there was only a 16th of an inch left, so I was not worried about a second shim. You can also follow the other install thread, and cut off the old ears on the stock Galant VR4 struts and grind them down. However, that was too much work for me. You will need several 3 inch hose clamps or some good strong zip ties, or you can buy the hose clamps w/ the metal studs to remount the brake line brackets and ABS sensors wire loom. ( There is a GVR4 forums member listed in the other EVO strut install thread, that sells the clamps )

#4 On the stock Galant VR4 rear shocks, you will need a hack-saw or sawzall to cut off the lower mounts. You will also need to cut down the lower mounts on the EVO MR rear shocks to accommodate the Galant VR4 mounts. If you have a MIG wire feed welder, it's pretty straight forward; or take them to someone that has the equipment and have them do the welding. My advice, wrap the lower part of the EVO MR shocks with a wet towel, as to absorb the heat from the welding. It "could" pose a danger from getting the shocks too hot. Also, you have to be careful not to put too much heat into the lower Galant VR4 mounts, and the rubber inserts will melt, catch fire, and blow out. So be judicious with your welding !!!

#5 when I mounted the front EVO MR struts, I pushed the top of spindle knuckles towards the engine, as to generate negative camber, then I tightened the nuts down. I'm sure the Galant will need an alignment to make sure it's set correct, but for my first driving impressions, the car feels really good, and is tracking straight.

#6 Lastly, I used Eibach Pro lowering springs that I purchased for the EVO MR struts and shocks. So I did not have to do any cutting of the springs. I have a good ride height, and no positive camber. Take your time, enlist the help of a friend that's willing to get a little dirty with you. Pictures Below

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned