The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Wire loom cover

LordAthey

Getting ready to redo the wiring harness and wanted to see what you guys thought would be the best to replace it will. click I'm thinking the nylon with the slit you be the best for it, but like I said wanted to see what you guys thought.

Thanks,

Scott

rdomeck

I hate that stuff. Looks cheap. Most of the factory loom just had tape around it. In my opinion it looks much better that way. 3M super 33 or super 88 works really well. A little expensive at $4 a roll, but stay's sticky and bonds really well for years to come.

misterfixit

As said above most of the loom is just tape. However through all areas where the loom is exposed to chafing ant crushing it has this stuff round it. in the interior area its a plain cover.

Personally all I've ever done is taken the tape off and rebuilt the loom with the original materials. I have had the luxury of doing it with other donor looms already stripped so have replaced anything that was less than perfect as i went.

The looms in my car are built from 3 or 4 different cars. The biggest single rework was adding ECS.

Rich

Last edited:

JNR

I don't like that cheap split loom, as it reminds of what the wire chasers put on everything, lol. I mean, it has its purpose, but there are other alternatives.

As for tape, use a 3M non-sticky electrical tape, or a textured cloth type tape if you want an oem look; the non-sticky tape is actually waterproof also, unlike reg. electrical tape and is quite durable.

If these are new connections, shrink tube works well; they make split, wraparound shrink tube also, but not sure how well it works. Can also pull the wiring thru nylon, alum. or ss tubing (use caution on metal though!) Also, they make SS (or plastic) braided sheathing that looks good and protects; this can be in the type that you push/pull over the wiring, or the wrap-around style if existing harnesses.

I'd recommend going to mcmaster.com and checking out their stuff for ideas and go form there.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned