The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Best way to get gas out the gas tank .

Vr4junkie

Ok I tried sticking a hose down the tank but no luck any other way to get it out. Got little overhalf a tank thats been sitting almost a year and not going to break in motor with that gas.

citymunky

Unscrew the drain plug, catch old gas in a bucket.

Vr4junkie

Drain plug im ganna go check that out weres it by just incase i
cant find it.

citymunky

driver's side, you can't miss it.

Vr4junkie

Thanks now I just got to find out were to put it in and make sure I dont get it all over the drive way.

Ian M

Quoting vr4junkie:
Drain plug im ganna go check that out weres it by just incase i
cant find it.

On the bottom. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

thedsmguy

Unbolt the Cam angle sensor, hook a 3/8 hose to the return side of the fuel rail. Unplug injectors. Turn car to on. Spin CAS by hand and the pump will turn on pumping the gas out of the tank to wherever you want it to go. I use to do this all the time to drain the pump gas in prep for a night out of racing, and vice versa.

SmoothCustomer

You are in CA so you might get away with that plug but I would be surprised if it wasn't rusty and I'd be afraid of breaking it. I do what turbowop says but unbolt the line at the intake side of the rail, and just stick the end of it in a milk jug or what have you (of course gas will go through a lot of plastics, so a smallish gas can is ideal) before grounding it. It's just two bolts, real simple.

Vr4junkie

Quoting turbowop:
Or just connect 12v to the fuel pump test lead on the firewall. No need to remove the CAS, lol.

• were exactly is the fuel pump test lead haven't been under the hood in awhile freaking mad house in there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

JNR

Luckily my drain plug looks new still (no rust), so I may try that...I have > 3/4 tank of 6 1/2 year old fuel in there, yikes. My concern is what to do with all that gas and don't like all those vapors when putting it into a dish, etc...all's it takes is one rogue spark!

AWDPower

Is the car outdoors or in a garage? If in a garage, be extra careful, probably not a bad idea to put out the pilot light on the water heater. Some recycling places will take old gas. While you have the tank drained, check the fuel filler hose for cracking.

Vr4junkie

Its out door I drained about 4 gallons but I got a flat and have to use a jack to get to the plug and the rest tilts to the side and its a little messy and I come out stinking I would rather hook up a 12v to the test lead like turbowop said seems much easier and cleaner.

Last edited:

donkeylips

The test port is right on the firewall. From the factory it has a plastic cover. It sits next to another connector that you ground when you set ignition timing. The one that you want is the smaller of the two. I believe it is near the middle on the driver's side, near the top.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned