The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ZR-4 mean?

raptorWagon

If VR-4 means Viscous Realtime Four, what does ZR-4 (as in Eterna ZR-4) mean? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

EgonOlsen

Well the translation of VR-4 aint confirmed by Mitsu afaik. its just a guess.
I would think the 4 means cylinder amount, as on the VR-6 its just that.

But since they are mostly down under, its prolly something like Zebra Roadkill or summat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raptorWagon

It can't pertain to cylinder count if the later VR-4s are Twin-Turbo V6s. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

EgonOlsen

Possibly, but its still just a guess, not a confirmed translation, which was my point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

fuel

The 4 refers to the 'Active Four' which is 4WD, 4WS, 4ABS and 4IS. You could probably add 4Valve into that too.

VR has been used as a model designation on the JDM 5th gen Galant turbo sedan (G63B SOHC 12V and FWD) so I guess it just makes sense VR-4 is a natural progression of the VR model. The VR badge did make a come back on the NZDM 8th gen Galant with the 6A13 V6.

For the JDM 6th gen Galant they came in a few 'series' - G, M and V with GF-4 being top of the G series, MX-4 being top of the M series and VR-4 being top of the V series. Likewise the 6G Eterna had a 'Z series' containing ZZ, ZX, ZX-4 and of course ZR-4 being the top of the Z series and top of the entire range.

curtis

ZR and VR were big terms back in the late 80's on tires....ZR meant rated for above 186mph/300k and VR meant rated for 149. Mitsubishi grabbed up the titles to sound cool but with the Eterna's since were a fast back they could be ordered with an optional 3.194 to 1 final drive, optional 300k speedo and the uber cool 35/65 split center diff rear wing and rally inspired wheel package this helped the car push pass the 186 ZR tire rating so the name stuck.

All this because of the success with the amg partnership on the older sigmas and the 6th gens was a way for Mitsubishi to build a car for the autobahn and most of these were aimed at the German market but with the tearing down of the Berlin wall and economic changes in German it never really made it. Here's a couple pictures of one of those special ordered cars that made it to the UK.

curtis

Raise your hand if you believed that line of BS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

fuel

* raises hand *

matt92vr4

I'll raise my hand /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I don't know what it means, but it cannot have anything to do with amount of cylinders. Mitsu came out with both 3000gt vr-4 and Galant vr-4 in 1991 in the USA.

EgonOlsen

Quoting matt92vr4:

I don't know what it means, but it cannot have anything to do with amount of cylinders. Mitsu came out with both 3000gt vr-4 and Galant vr-4 in 1991 in the USA.

They do however also have a VR-6 which cant be 6WD? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bazeng

Quoting curtis:
Raise your hand if you believed that line of BS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

From this day on, it will now be the truth!

boostx

I raise both hands. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

jnava

Staff member
I agree, raise hands for those nice rims...

Dasith

Quoting EgonOlsen:
Quoting matt92vr4:

They do however also have a VR-6 which cant be 6WD? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

what is this VR6 you speak of? never ever heard of it ......... there's some VR6 in VW car i think, but not mitsu..

H05TYL

Saw one of those wings on a budget spec eterna the other day, quite tempted to find one and stick it on my vr...

ktmrider

To confirm the VR-4 info here are some pics from one of my JAS trips:

I also looked up other makes' "V" usage, for instance Nissan's V-Spec GTR or Spec-V Sentra loosely stands for Victory. So taken into transration from Japanese V or Z could be anything LOL.

Last edited:

misterfixit

This conversation is how i got my title....

misterfixit

ktmrider

ZR-4, "Z" could very likely stand for "Zenki" which transrated in Japanese car-speak is "Early in the Model Year".

Kouki in Japanese car talk is "Facelift" or "Refresh" of an existing model design, kinda like 1gA and 1gB for our DSM bretheren.

So ZR-4 could be "related" to the VR-4 just an early edition of the same chassis design or MY ( E39A for example ).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts