The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

evo 9 or oem 2g pistons

LordAthey

Now im having the debate either run the 2g oem on 1g rods like I plan or go with the evo 9 pistons on the 1g rods. Just wondering what peoples experiences are with both of these and or what you would recommend.

citymunky

if you are going to spend the money to bore out 1g rod wrist pins from 21mm to 22mm, why not pay a bit more for EVO 9 pistons. Why you ask? The answer--->FORGED pistons.

Last edited:

LordAthey

Ok so if I get the evo 9 pistons I wont have to do anything to my stock block? Or will there be some machine work involved?

Street Surgeon

I can tell ya that you can definitely run evo oil squirters with em /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nsin

^ you mean evo pistons. lol im getting confused with squirters working with 9s and 2g with 1g rods on a 6 bolt right? ha

yeti

Woah,
Think we need to take our time explaining things around here

1g rods 2g pistons don't clear 1g oil squirters
1g rods. Evo 9 pistons I don't know if they clear 1g squirters but you CAN use evo squirters and done deal

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
"1g rods 2g pistons don't clear 1g oil squirters"

I have done these before and while it was close, there was no interference if installed properly.

citymunky

Quoting LordAthey:
Ok so if I get the evo 9 pistons I wont have to do anything to my stock block? Or will there be some machine work involved?

IF the bore is good, than nothing to the block. Only Rods would need the work.

Quoting yeti:
Do the evo 9 pistons run into 1g oil squirters like 2g pistons do?

I wouldn't think so, and here is why since the EVO 9 is smaller that a 1g or 2g piston.

2g piston vs EVO9
N1110B076-4.jpg

Last edited:

dsmless

I am running evo8 pistons on 1g rods and they.do clear the squirters just machine the piston small ends and your good to go

yeti

Quoting iceman69510:

I have done these before and while it was close, there was no interference if installed properly.

what is there to do right?
i was told they do not clear, and you have to shim the skirt..

again I could be wrong

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Shim the skirt? Do you mean "trim the skirt"?

Not trying to be mean, but do you really have the experience to be handing out advice on this subject?

And FYI, the oil squirters can be slightly adjusted in position to improve the situation or at least ensure no contact. As mentioned, I HAVE done this install.

turbowop

Dude, Yeti read about it on the internet. He knows waaaaaay m0ar than you.

*edit* Posted at 10:51 ftw. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Last edited:

5OF2k

I always removed the oil squirters with the 1gBR/2gP setup. Honestly, they dont do a whole hell of a lot, and its all oil pressure you could use for your bearings anyway.... This is on more than a few motors, all making above 400whp, and all DD'd and tracked, FWIW.

Ive never ran a set of evo pistons though, so im somewhat biased i suppose.

-Jake

yeti

Quoting iceman69510:
Shim the skirt? Do you mean "trim the skirt"?

Not trying to be mean, but do you really have the experience to be handing out advice on this subject?

And FYI, the oil squirters can be slightly adjusted in position to improve the situation or at least ensure no contact. As mentioned, I HAVE done this install.

Im just trying to help, i remember reading it somewhere so thought i would throw in any help i could.. also why i continued to say "Again I could be wrong" and "I thought I read"

and i have absolutely NO experience in oil squirter adjustment..just trying to help

yeti

Quoting yeti:
Quoting iceman69510:

what is there to do right?
i was told they do not clear, and you have to shim the skirt..

again I could be wrong

I didn't say anything that wasn't correct.

I wanted to point out there is a concern with the squirters that nobody mentioned, iceman said you had to do it right, I was just asking how you do it right.

To my knowledge the squirters is a concern, if they are not I would like to know how..

524of1000

Evo 8/9 pistons will fit without modification to the squirters/cylinders. Machine the small end of the rod like you would a 1g/2g combo, replace the rings and bearings, hone the cylinder walls. THAT SAID, when we did the Evo piston swap, the cost of machining rods and the replacement rings were nearly as expensive as getting a forged set of wisecos. Just food for thought.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts