The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Sealing oil galley plug-solved

vtecds1

I've researched all over the net and haven't found the best way to seal the plug. Anyone here ever had it leak and what type of sealant did you use? My buddy convinced me to buy the Permatex Ultra Black since that's what he uses at Nissan to seal plugs. I just want to make sure because I really don't want to pull the tranny out again.

Last edited:

Barnes

Hypothetically if you use the proper BSPT fitting,NOT a NPT fitting, you don't need sealant. In reality a little sealant is probably needed. That being said I have no reason to believe that ultra black wouldn't work fine.

vtecds1

^^^Any specific brand? The previous owner or the machine shop that did the work on the block appeared to have used teflon paste but it still leaked. But there could of been other factors involved on why it failed.

I'm going to have to check if it is BSPT and not NPT. I remember reading from a post that the plugs in the intake manifold are the same size...is that correct? I have to dig through my junk to see if I can find it.

Barnes

A) Use what grocery getter says

B)It probably leaked because the machine shop used a NPT plug instead of BSPT. The *same* thing happened to my friend and he fought that leak for 4-5 transmission pulls before he figured it out.

grocery_getter

Don't use rtv on the sealing plug. Its right next to the main bearings. Bits and pieces of rtv could made its way to the bearings and fail your motor. I dont remember off hand the brand name of the one I used at the shop. Is a big green tube of it and it has lasted me 2 years now with constant use. You don't put too much just enough to cover the thread. After you thread and tighten in the plug wipe the excess that you see. Avoid the temptation to use teflon tape. Sadly I still see teflon tape use in tapered fitting in engines that comes to the shop. Teflon tapes breaks up and the tapes are not soluable in oil, fuel or coolant. You can jammed up your bearing clearances with bits and pieces of telfon tapes. Only use teflon paste.

Our fittings are not NPT. If you use NPT plug it will leak. Same thing with people installing 1/8 NPT temp sender or oil pressure sender into the oil filter housing or the coolant thermostat neck. You got 1 thread per inch difference in the 1/8 sizes.

Remember to use only teflon paste for automotive uses. Fuel, coolant, oil, methanol, air, etc...if its on a car and its tapered fitting -> teflon paste is your buddy.

jepherz

Staff member
Yes, regular white teflon tape is not meant for gas/oil. You need to use the heavy yellow stuff, but in any case I wouldn't use that here.

grocery_getter

Found it

easternoils592.jpg

vtecds1

^^^Awesome...do you happen to know if any local stores carry it or I would have to order online?

Thanks again for the help fellas!!!

vtecds1

Ended up not being a bspt plug so i placed an order through a local mopar dealership for the right part. It came out to be $9.50, but had it the next day compared to the local mitsu wich would of taken 5 days to get in for the same price. I sealed it up with the permatex high temp teflon paste since the stay bond was hard to find. So far so good...no leaks even after a couple of quick pulls.

Thanks again fellas for the responses!!!

we use the right stuff gasket maker to help seal the threads here at the shop... i know you figured it out already but just thought id throw in some info..

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned