The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stalling when decelerating. I Need help

dmj

Boost leak test done no leaks that I can hear . Idle control switch and pigtail checks out good. I changed the throttle shaft seals and did a fiav block off today. Car is worst than before It will start but won,t maintain the idle as it now cycles up and down constantly. I need your help.

ktmrider

ISC check? Or just the Closed Throttle Switch?

Also what BOV/BPV configuration are you using?

dmj

Installed new isc yesterday even though old one checked out within specs. Bov is recirculated (Dejon modded)

dmj

^^You got me there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif I will reset it in the morning and post the results.

dmj

The car will not idle with the biss terminal grounded and the logger plugged in so I can't reset the biss. If I disconnect the ground and leave the logger connected the car idles. Note for some reason the coolant temp reading on the logger showed 158 degrees. (I am assuming celcius) while the gauge on the dash was in the midpoint. The car has a new radiator, temp sender and rad fan sensor . Before all of this the car sat for 5 months for a boat load of maintainence.

Last edited:

beaner

Quote:

for some reason the coolant temp reading on the logger showed 158 degrees.

Bingo.

mikus

KnowYourThermoHousing1G-1.jpg

Your temp gauge and temp sender are two different units. Image linked not hosted due to boat shenanigans.

Usually the problem is temp sender wiring broken and you'll read something like -40º. Sounds like you have a failing sender based on the 158º reading. 158 C would be 316 F by the way

dmj

I just tried logging the temp. and now my logger took a crap. I have a fatal alert and it won't reset.I swear this car loves jack stand balling as soon as I fix one problem 3 new ones show up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Last edited:

dmj

Replaced the coolant temp sensor with oem unit and tested it before installation. Tested the voltage at the connector both within specs. But the car still stalls on deceleration. At this point I am going to remove the ECU and take a look at the board for any damage.

vtecds1

What other maintenance did you do with the car? Was it doing it before?

Check timing, TPS, check ecu(like mentioned), Idle switch and ground on the t-body. I was having the same problem for the past year and could not figure it out. Then I remembered that the needle in my speedometer was bouncing up and down. Messed around with the cable and speedo housing for a bit and finally solved my problem.

AWDPower

Quote:
The car will not idle with the biss terminal grounded and the logger plugged in so I can't reset the biss.

If it won't idle with the biss terminal grounded, the biss screw may be closed too far. Open the biss screw most of the way, then ground the terminal. You will start with an idle that is too high and close the biss screw to work your way down.

jepherz

Staff member
Yes, that hints that there is no more adjustment in the idle motor if the car can't idle on it's own. Remember that all the idle stepper motor is, is a pendulum essentially. When you ground the pin, the ecu sets the stepper motor in the middle of its throw. Then you set the biss screw to be at the ECU's target idle.

dmj

Ok .so I tried the suggestion above backed out the Biss, grounded out the terminals and the idle is all over the place between 600- 1800 rpms. I slowly tried to turn in the biss screw to set the idle and it did not help so I
disconnected the ground and It idles on it's own at 850-950 rpms,but every few minutes it starts cycling up and down again.I drove the car about 55 miles today and fortunately it did not stall, the idle drops under 500 rpms when coming to a stop but recovers quickly and cycles up and down at least three times before settling to about 850 rpms.

ktmrider

I've heard of ABS issues creating idle surge issues ( mostly high idle tho ). Is your ABS intact or disabled and if off how?

dmj

Abs in good shape, no codes or lights. Pulled the Ecm today looks like there is acid on the board but I an not sure maybe someone can confirm from these pics

s_firestone

Check your butterfly gap. Test the continuity of the CTPS again, they are notorious for sticking in one position (open or closed) when they go out. It also relies on the ground of the throttle body.

Terry Posten

That is not acid, it is flux. That board look pretty clean fom what I can tell from the pics you have.

dmj

That eliminates the ecu as the problem then.I am going to check the resistance of the wires from the ecu socket to the tps, iac,cas and the closed throttle switch. I will keep the post updated.

dmj

All wires ohmed out fine including the p/s pressure Switch. Later I will check the voltage @ The iac, cas and tps. If that checks out ok then I will replace the throttle body.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts