The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Opinions On My Aggressive Wheel Plan: Enkei RPF1 17x9 +45 Rear & 17x8 +45 Front

GSTwithPSI

Like the title says, I'm planning on running a set of RPF1s 17x9 +45 Rear & 17x8 +45 Front. So why the 9" wheel in the back and not the front you ask? Well aside from having a bit more space in the rear wheel well to fill, I simply like how it looks. I have spent quite a bit of time researching, and I believe this wheel combo at a +45 offset will definitely fit the Galant. I used these sources mainly to determine this: click click click click . Additionally, there are also some 1G and 2G DSM guys running the RPF1 17x9 +45 all the way around their cars as well. I'm sure the fitment on the Galant will be very similar to these, but please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I am hoping I don't have any clearance issues. If I do, I'm planning on a few options to hopefully bail me out: 1) Run a wheel spacer in the rear between 5mm and 10mm. 2) Fit the wheel without tires and then select a tire based on the wheel fitment 3) Roll the fenders 4) Adjust camber negative as a last resort to take care of any clearance or rubbing issues. 5) Trim suspension components where needed. Seeing these wheels on the 1G and 2G DSMs give me the most hope for a good fit on the Galant though. I'm sure there are some of you here who may not think this wheel combo is a very good idea for this reason or that, and that these wheels won't fit..and that's exactly why I'm posting this, because I'd like to hear your opinions. If you could keep your comments civil that would be cool, but hell this is the internet after all, so if you want to call me an idiot I guess that's cool too. Either way I have to get the God awful wheels that are currently on the Galant off as soon as possible, and I think the wheel combo I want to use is the way to go. I know a few members here are running the RPF1s, but none are close to a +45 offset to my knowledge. For you guys who are currently running this wheel, if you could please post up what size and offset you are running and the specs that would be very helpful. And if you aren't running the RPF1, please feel free to chime in as well and just let me know what you think. Thanks.

Here is my current sorry ass wheel setup left by the previous owner. These will go in the dumpster as soon as possible:

img00002201109201825.jpg

Here is a 1G running the RPF1 17x9 +45

IMG_0063-e1280762088330.jpg

IMG_0076-e1280708052199.jpg

And now a 2G running the RPF1 17x9 +45

dsc_0098.jpg

dsc_0094.jpg

Here are a few links of the 1G and 2G cars running the RPF1 17x9s that I found: click click

And lastly here's how the +45 9" rear and 8" front look on an S2K...I know I know, just do your best to pretend you aren't looking at a Honda and put a VR4 in it's place. You get the idea though....

055.jpg

Last edited:

bobdole

This should look nice. Why not run 17 8.0 35 offset in the front?

Charles

GSTwithPSI

LMAO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif This little thread is causing quite the stir on "Tooners". Bwahhh ha ha ha ha. Just as I had planned. I love this place: click

Quoting boosted_85:
17x9 with 45-50 offset, and 17x9 et35 with clear the wheel wells of the gvr4.

Pics or it didn't happen... Lol but seriously that's good news. Thanks for the info and the reply!

Quoting kartorium:
Dude! Someone cut a big ass hole in your hood! I vote new hood before wheels...

FACT. I'm working on getting a vented JDM hood to replace this. Wattery engine = BAD. If you guys didn't already know, then I will now make it known, that the previous owner of this car sucked a lot. He did things like cut holes in the hood, lost the fuel pump completely, put stupid looking rims and stickers (which I already removed) on the car and also was the one who painted it this God awful blue color. Please rest assured, I'm working on righting all these wrongs guys. If this deployment would ever end so I can return to the states, life could continue and so would progress on the Galant!!!

Jesus_Negros

I dont think 17x9 +45 will fit a GVR4...maybe 17x9 +25 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2000GTX

hey man, if you cant find a dumpster big enough for those wheels maybe you could send them my way... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

caf620

i love the wheels on the first pic, that is my current set up (18 x 7.5) before i removed my 17s rays..

kartorium

The simple answer is; yes the rims will work, you just will most likely have to utilize a spacer in the rear.

The thread on tuners is hilarious and full of garbage. Just delete that thread before it fills your brain with any more BS.

thedsmguy

How about 17x8 all four wheels. and two different offsets to get you a lip on the rear wheel? I've been looking to do that setup for a long time on my gvr4.

turbowop

A lot of times that only changes the thickness of the pad where the wheel mounts to the hub and how deep the lugnut wells are drilled, not the rim lip.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting slugsgomoo:
is that the blue show car that a guy was building with his dad or something a few years ago?

^^^ Quite possibly??? Do you have anymore info on this? The guy I bought it from, bought it from a guy and blah blah blah. Anyways, at some point someone who didn't suck (like the guy I bought this car from) was actually dumping money into this thing hence the work done at RRE. I wish I had more history on the car?

Quoting kartorium:
The simple answer is; yes the rims will work, you just will most likely have to utilize a spacer in the rear.

The thread on tuners is hilarious and full of garbage. Just delete that thread before it fills your brain with any more BS.

Indeed it is. I posted the thread link here for entertainment purposes mostly. I see now why everyone here has deemed that place TOONers. So much BS and very little helpful information. After being on VR4.org for a few weeks, I completely understand why most users here don't even waste their time there anymore. GVR4.ORG FTW...

Quoting raptorreed:
^ You're much better off reading Crankwalk's thread about staggered wheels than that sh*t on Tuners.
Staggered Wheels on GVR4
Crankwalk's makeover of 1439

Thanks for the link! Very helpful, I don't know how I didn't find this???

Last edited:

H05TYL

I've actually got 18"x9" wide rims on my gvr4, +30 offset just clears the trailing arms in the rear, +45 will not clear.

Have made plenty of posts about it with pics etc.

GSTwithPSI

For times sake and the aforementioned poor search here, can you post a few of those pics here or shoot me a few links? Thanks.

Edit: Found one...are there more? click

Last edited:

dc_style

i'm picking up some 17x9 +45 wheels this weekend and i'll try to fit them as soon as i find some time. so it looks like i'll have to space it out in the rear a bit? 10-15mm?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts