The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

HID Retrofit - DONE RIGHT

dustyduff

Before I start, don't ask how much it cost, because it was really expensive and most people probably won't pull the trigger on it. I paid a premium penny to have it done professionally vice attempting it myself. As you can see, there was an extensive amount of cutting involved and I didn't want to ruin a set of 93' headlights if I screwed up. I've seen several threads about people saying that they were going to attempt it, but haven't seen any pictures besides the one's that Curtis has done.

They started off as stock 1993 headlights. The chrome was flaking and peeling off on the inside of the housings, so the housings were painted semi flat black, and Morimoto Mini H1 Bixenon projectors were added in the low beam section of the headlights. The E46 shrouds were painted white and then the front was masked off to create a small white ring around the shrouds. The headlights are being powered by a set of Denso ballasts, LW H1 5000K Bulbs, and a plug & play wiring harness. The rear section of the headlights were repainted a semi flat black to freshen up the look. The OEM sealant with the Koito butyl sealant for superior protection. Conversion performed by LightWerkz in NJ.

The mounting brackets aren't shown in the pictures, but were painted to freshen up the lights too.

Since the projectors are bi-xenon, I didn't have a need for the high beam section of the headlight. Since the chrome was peeling, it was painted flat black to match the projector side. I'll likely be adding an LED bulb and use that side for my day time running lights.

Opinions welcome.

curtis

I approve this message. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you want them even blacker looking installed tape the glass off and paint all 4 sides. They do look badass, congrats.

Last edited:

dustyduff

Curtis: I was trying to hold out for you brother, but I know you have a long list of things to do. You were my only option before sending them out to be done professionally. As the master of retrofit on the board, I'm glad you approve. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

They'll look good with the foglights you did!

IncorpoRatedX

Is that JB weld on the back side...?

turbowop

I trashed the idea after I did some measurements and realized that the minis wouldn't fit without major modifications. I'll stick with halogens for now.

They look great though. Get some pics up when you get them mounted on the car.

dustyduff

Quoting Alpha Male:
Is that JB weld on the back side...?

It's actually epoxy of some sort to seal the projector to the housing.

Wop: I was hoping that the housing was large enough to go with a better projector, but there really isn't any other option besides the MH1. I think Jeremy put a set of TSX projectors when he did his headlights, but I believe he had to hack the housings up pretty good. Appreciate the comment coming from you. I was curious what you would say once you read HID retrofit in the subject(figuring it was another ebay kit). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

I'll have them mounted on the car next weekend.

GSX_TC

I like em, would like to see them on the car aswell.

jnava

Staff member
They look great! Install pic please...

mitsuturbo

Soooo.... the high beam has no reflector behind it? Just black paint?

Looks cool, but the functionality of the high beam looks like it's been seriously compromised, no?

dustyduff

Quoting mitsuturbo:

Looks cool, but the functionality of the high beam looks like it's been seriously compromised, no?

You are correct in the first sentence, as the reflector was painted black. WRT to the second comment, I would have to disagree. The projector is bi-xenon, meaning the projector will have low and high beam functionality. If the projector was only for low beam, then you would be correct. Since the projector is both high/low, the high beam section of the headlight will now be used with an LED bulb for day time running lights.

dustyduff

Not exactly sure on what LED setup I'm going with, but the color will likely be yellow to match the JDM foglights that I had Curtis modify a year or two ago.

img.php

I was thinking something like the one listed below with a yellow output.

$(KGrHqYOKjgE3uNHus7LBOEtFjeG2Q~~_12.JPG

My main concern is that a yellow halogen bulb will likely be too hot for the paint inside the housing.

mitsuturbo

Quoting dustyduff:
Quoting mitsuturbo:

You are correct in the first sentence, as the reflector was painted black. WRT to the second comment, I would have to disagree. The projector is bi-xenon, meaning the projector will have low and high beam functionality. If the projector was only for low beam, then you would be correct. Since the projector is both high/low, the high beam section of the headlight will now be used with an LED bulb for day time running lights.

Awesome. So it really was "done right". Outstanding!

It should look VERY nice when mounted and functional.

dustyduff

Threw them on the car really quick to see how they'd look. No output shots for a while though. I need to move my power steering lines that run to the PS cooler before I finish mounting them completely.

img.php

JSchleim18

Pics DO NOT do these lights justice. They look fantastic on the car.

Beautiful car Mike can't wait to see it all finished!

GSX_TC

looks very good on white like that. for some reason that tiny lil pic wont blow up though.

dustyduff

Quoting JSchleim18:
Pics DO NOT do these lights justice. They look fantastic on the car.

Beautiful car Mike can't wait to see it all finished!

Thanks Jeremy!!! The photo was taken with my i-phone, so the quality isn't the best. I'll get better photos when the car is road worthy in the next few weeks. The JDM bumper was there for test fitting while I figure out the paint scheme (you can't even see the clarity of the modified JDM fogs). I'll post some better ones in my build thread next week. I'll update this thread whenever I get some output shots.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts