The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Diego

MuffinMan7580

I bought what was supposed to be an EVO 3 16g turbo from Diego last year around August. Upon receiving it I sent him a message voicing my concern about the amount of shaftplay (axial and radial). He assured me that it would tighten up after oil had gone through it. I took his word for it, and went ahead and installed it on 570. It was down for a while with transmission woes for a few months, but after I fixed the trans issues, I was putting everything back together, and noticed that the shaft play was so bad, that the wheel was actually scraping the compressor housing. I immediately took the turbo off and had it rebuilt. I asked the business who was rebuilding the turbo for me to check the wheel specs on it, since the compressor cover had been polished, and any identifying marks on it had been removed. I received pictures of the wheel being measured along with the guy saying that it was not an EVO 3 compressor wheel, but was, in fact, a small 16g wheel. Previously, Diego had sent me pictures of the compressor cover before it was polished, and it had the correct markings for an EVO 3. Supposedly, he bought it from another board member on here, and he must have switched the cover before selling it. "No worries, things happen", I thought. I PM'd Diego, trying to take care of it at the lowest level, in December. He promptly returned my PM's, and gave me a sob story about him losing a job, and I just told him to cover part of the rebuild cost whenever he could, which he agreed to. That was almost 3 months ago, and he has since stopped returning my messages, even though he HAS been logging in. I'm all for giving someone a chance, but atleast maintain some form of communication. I'm still not sure if his whole story is true, and I really don't care. If you're going to try to sell me a turbo that isn't what you say it is, atleast make sure that it's a good turbo so it won't be taken apart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Galantvr4559

I witnessed the said turbo drive over 100 miles before being pulled. I know for a fact that it was still good. as far as knowing weather it was a tru evo 3 or not well can u prove it other than goin off what someone else says. Have u done ur research before u post a bad guy thread on soneone who has been a member of the org for several years. Diego is a good guy and wanted to help you but u not wanting to call him and simply have an adult conversation with him is a little pathetic. Just some info for u little boy turbos do not have warranties especially used ones. If it was not what u wanted you should have merely returned the turbo and asked for ur money back. Not write a bad guy thread months later.

Diego

All the pictures I have of this turbo are of a polished housing. I bought it that way, years ago. Will upload them in a second. I can't recall me sending a picture with numbers on it, as when I was selling the unit to you, it was the only unit I had in my possession. I have the pictures to verify. Will upload when I get a second.

We agreed on said price, and I sent it out the door. The first time I sent it to the address provided by paypal. It was returned to me.
I asked for a correct address, and it was on its way again.

I readied his concern of the "shaft play" as normal journal bearing play whilst no oil was inside. Talked to other members and they have said the same things about journal turbos.

He wrote me 5-6 months later, telling me of his woes. How am I to take that as a "my bad" and my fault. How am I to know that you didnt take the unit and beat it to crap, then ask for money back. I'm just covering my ass.

I felt a good sympathy, and opted to try and work something out, and was willing to do an agreement, but after dwelling on it, I hesitated and didn't make a move. Id rather not be $100 out on a perfectly good deal we struck together.

I'm not here for a kiddie argument, or for a he said, he said deal. I just want the air cleared of this all, and behind us. I've never tried to fast one anyone here, and don't intend to. I feel the fast one is being pulled on me, and I'm just trying to cover my back.

Diego

MuffinMan7580

My build from DSMTalk (http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235118). You can gather that the car hasn't been driven and had just been sitting in my storage unit getting worked on slowly. I never got ahold of a dial indicator to measure in/out shaftplay. I should have atleast taken pictures with atleast something to show the in/out play, so that is my bad.

MuffinMan7580

Still haven't heard anything from him. I can understand his concerns about a journal bearing turbo having a little excess shaftplay when there is no oil in it, but there should only be radial shaftplay, no axial. Axial shaftplay comes from the seals wearing out. No fast ones are trying to be pulled here. I have had plenty of good experiences here, and many more on DSMTalk. What evidence do I need to show you to make this end?

MuffinMan7580

4559-Never saw your post, but if you want proof of wheel sizes, here it is.

Exducer

Inducer

Don't talk to me like I'm dumb. Inducer and Exducer measurements come out SPOT ON for a small 16g. I'll even upload the table that has all the measurements so you don't have to go looking for it.

If you still want more physical evidence, then here's a picture of the shaft.

As you can see, there are several lines that go around the shaft. Those are rough spots. They catch my finger nail. They seem to be where the seals should be. Surely you already know that seals don't like rough metal.

I don't know where you two keep getting the word "warranty". A warranty implies that an item breaks after being used. I did not even use this turbo, because of the AXIAL shaftplay, which most people call in/out play, which is controlled by the seals. I asked for a good condition EVO 3 16g. Disregard the fact that it wasn't since I probably wouldn't have noticed if it had been used. The turbo had excessive shaft play, which means that it is not in "good condition". This is selling something other than what you are advertising, otherwise known as fraud. I am well aware of journal bearing turbos having a little more than normal shaftplay when there is no oil in it, but that only accounts for radial (side to side) play, not axial, which should be zero whether there is oil pressure there or not. When I first received the turbo in the mail, I sent him a PM regarding this, and he assured me that it tighten up after oil pressure was run through it. That did not happen. I primed the turbo when I finally got it on my car. The shaft play did not tighten up, and I took it back off to get rebuilt.

I had searched Diego's name in the good guy/bad guy forums before sending him money for it. If he would like to speak up, I paid for the turbo just in time for him to order his 20g to go to some meet. I ordered it basically instantly after I found all the good guy posts about him, and after I received pictures. I also waited for him to make it right because of him being in the good guy section, figuring he would, but didn't have any luck. I do not feel that me not wanting to talk to him over the phone would have solved anything, as it takes 5 seconds to type, "Hey, give me a little more time to get some money together", or, "Do you have any pictures of the wheel to prove that it isn't an EVO 3?". If someone were to hit your car, either intentionally or not, you would expect them to call you, right, because you hadn't done anything wrong, and it's up to them to make it right.

It's good of you to stick up for your friend, but you calling me a "little boy" is not right, and makes you look silly, especially since you don't even know me.

What else can I show you that I am not trying to screw you? I don't see why it's so hard believing that a car (DSM/GVR4 for that matter) was being worked on over a few months, and wasn't being driven because it was un-driveable.

MuffinMan7580

Received a PM from Diego today stating that the pictures with measurements have him convinced, and he will be making things right soon. I will update when all is well.

92GVR4num65

Man I REALLY hate to call you out like this but I feel as though I have no recourse. I lent diego a maft 2.x1 months ago so he could move to Denver. We have a history, that i thought was positive, and Id rather not get into that. When he left he had a job lined up in Denver and I know that he has been spending time with prominent members in the gvr4/dsm community. I was promised to be paid back for this part and have recieved nothing. We spoke through text on 8/3/14 and he assured me that as soon as his check has cleared he would send it. 2 weeks nothing. We spoke on the phone around the 8/15/14 and he assured me he was going to send out the maft that day with some cash in the box for my hastle. He also stated he was going to gift me his old school fp green since he had gotten a new turbo from his boss. Brings us to today.....and believe me I know its "just a maft" not like its a $1000 part, but its more principle to me now, i helped him out and expect repayment....I thought we were friends like that but I guess you never know.

Oh and It looks like on fb hes looking to buy parts too......ijs.

Again I really hate callin you out bro, but I feel I have no other option at this point......

Get at me, you know my num.

92GVR4num65

My beef with diego has been settled. Thank you.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts