The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ground control coilover question

conradical

So Im replacing my front stuts which are HKS KYB(blown) and they have Ground Control coilovers on them. The problem is that Im having trouble getting the ground control sleeves off the strut. Do they just slide off or what? I cant seem to get them to budge. This may be a dumb question but anything will help.

turbowop

They slide on using large o-rings between the sleeve and shock body. Over the years, a lot of stuff can get embedded around them and they get stuck. With persistence, they'll slide off.

broxma

They may likely be the reason your struts are blown as well. I had a set on my WRX. Blew the struts. Three others I know with them, all blown.

/brox

turbowop

I don't think the Ground Controls themselves are what cause struts to blow. AGX's aren't that great of a shock/strut for one. I see many blown using regular springs as well. And most people with GC's tend to over lower their cars, which AGX's don't seem to like either. I use GC's on 503 and none of my shocks are blown.

broxma

Certainly on the WRX, it was the fault of the GC's. Even at the highest possible position, the suspension would bottom out. The fronts blew in about 400 miles, the backs shortly after. It seemed to me that the Spring rates hadn't been well though out honestly. I toyed with the idea of using a dual spring setup, utilizing a shortened outer spring with the GC in the center to control height. Never went with it, but I thought it might work.

/brox

turbowop

You make a good point. The GC's I use are GVR4 specific and have taller coils. Even fully lowered, I'm not riding bumpstops like those with DSM length coils.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts