The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Broken pp or TOB fail?

Brunoboy

I have a new oem master and SS line and an oem slave. I don't have much pressure as much as I bled it. I have a xtd stage 4 6puck unsprung with a fidanza lightened flywheel. New oem TOB new fork and pivot ball. I had someone on tuners look at it and he said he hears the TOB grinding on something in neutral. Clutch has been adjusted and it's hard to get in gear plus I have a dragging issue. What's the chances of a broken pp or failed TOB?
-shane

Diego

Check the master, John(TB) found out that my master was sucking air instead of pushing air. After he sourced and OE one from a friend I had pressure and my clutch back. Otherwise I had the same problem.

Brunoboy

I replaced two masters and two slaves one was a beck and arnley master to a rebuilt oem and a kragen slave to a oem slave. Still no pressure.
-Shane
PS: the weird noise from what I think is the TOB in the trans goes away when I push on the clutch and I do get a squeak from the trans as I push the clutch it

Last edited:

Diego

When my master/slave combo went I got harsh grinding. Then it shut itself down and I pushed it the couple blocks I was away from my house.

You've seemed to have had this persistent problem for what seems like a while now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Brunoboy

also wherever i adjust the pedal, i still have the disengagement issue where it grabs as soon as i lift the pedal. It wasnt always like this but I guess the Ebay XTD Stage 4 might have failed after 14k? I have no idea, Trans is coming out tomorrow, but I just want to know if anyone else thinks its a Clutch Problem now? Or a TOB Failure?
-Shane

DynastyLCD

Shane, i had a similar, but different issue with a friend's 2gb fwd. the throw out bearing would rattle and grind intermittently, and the clutch would engage and disengage as it felt like sometimes too. i remember making an almost hour trip, then went to move it and i couldn't get into reverse without starting the car in gear. turned out that the clip for the TOB was broken, and it was wasn't controlling the action of the TOB anymore, so it would sometimes it would push the TOB correctly, other times it wouldn't. and when it would be in just the right spot, the grinding/slapping noise typically heard from a faulty TOB would come and go. just a thought - hope this helps.

You can pull out the black rubber vent tubes out of the bellhousing and look inside and see both of those peices. Plus check your pedal assembly.

Brunoboy

thanks for the suggestions, My Pedal Assembly was already Taken out and Welded at the nut with no play.

Brunoboy

has anyone else had these problems before?
-Shane

Brunoboy

i have a member on dsmtuners taking it out, I have pulled it twice the first two weeks i put the new trans in. I am fed up with the car, and parents are getting pissed of all the oil in the driveway....so yea i have someone else doing it this time aha.
-Shane

Good luck with that. Nobody works on my car unless I am standing right there with them.

Brunoboy

yea its two hours away, he owns a 2g awd and his roomate and next door neighbor as well have 2g awd's ahaha. I usually do all my own work but im really really fed up with the car.

omertaitalia

my xtd stage 4 i bought my car with went out fast and i dont drive my car crazy, according to the previous owner it was brand new so it lasted maybe 2k miles at the most, xtd sucks imo, switched to act.

Brunoboy

i bought a used Competition Clutch stage 2 from Spawn87 on Dsmtuners real cheap. He delivered it to the guy that has my car. He said 70% meat left so im good with that, Im just driving the car now, I cant afford to have it break down again.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned