The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Replacing speedometer cable

jrschultz

I have to replace my speedometer cable soon. I found a thread while searching that describes how to remove the cable from the transmission. How do you remove the cable from inside the car where it's behind the gauge cluster? I know how to get the gauge cluster off. I had to do this to verify that the cable wasn't spinning. Do you have to remove any more of the dash besides the gauge cluster to get the cable free? Please advise if you have done this before.

donkeylips

There's a large white clip that holds it in behind the cluster. Easy as pie to release, then it should slide right out. I just pulled one off of my parts car, since the one on one of my Galants gave me a really hard time coming out of the transmission.

jrschultz

Thanx for the quick reply. Is it easy to fish the speedometer cable from the engine bay to behind the gauge cluster?

donkeylips

I did it the other way(pulled it out through the engine bay) last time. Not sure if it can go the other way or not. The dash was out when I did it, but I don't think it would be too hard.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts