The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Magnus street vs JMF race SMIMs?

throughfaith323

I'm trying to decide what intake manifold to go with. I currently have a JMF race intake mani and was considering switching to Magnus.

My soon-to-be setup:
-FP Green (~25 psi)
-Built engine (8.5:1 , BC272 cams, 1mm over valves)
-Evo front mount w/ 2.5 inch piping

I'm looking for pretty good high end, but would also like to keep as much low/mid range torque and HP as possible (don't we all). I'm pretty much saying I'm not just looking for solely top end for drag racing and I would like to have fun in the lower power-band since its a street/strip car.

I've done some research and couldn't find hard evidence for which one performs better in certain areas and which one is overall better. I've read different opinions in many places. Please consider which one delivers air to all runners more evenly.

Thanks Guys!
Ed

4thStroke

Why not downsize to the JMF street manifold? They're pretty inexpensive and will deliver where you want it to.

I'd like to assume the Magnus street manifold is very comparable to the JMF street, just buy whichever one is cheaper. I found my JMF on a Tuners group buy for $450 shipped.

Last edited:

bigblock4g63

magnus, cast ftw

i made alittle more power with it then the jmf

GSX_TC

Jm fab race is tried and true

But then again that new ams cast one is supposed to be pretty badass

onesickcrx

I will agree those new cast peaces are nice but the price tag is not....

If your really conserend about spool then SMIM might be the way to go.

Why not just keep you Race its not huge difference other then it has more top end.

I had JMF's Drag intake manifold even with my large framed 35R setup and I was making full boost around 3700rpm

Adorsey

I have a jmf race manifold on my dd. Drivability is deffinatly there, and my mid-range pep is not so bad. I have a Evo3b16g and thought the manifold was gonna be too much for it, but after the 1500miles so far, its too much fun to even think about taking the thing off. Up top is crazy, my ve never drops.
JMF all the way

4thStroke

I would love to see a log or video of a large 35R seeing full boost by 3700RPM with a JMF race manifold.

Quoting bigblock4g63:
magnus, cast ftw

i made alittle more power with it then the jmf

A little more power for a lot more money. It's not worth it if you are on a budget. I wish I wasn't, otherwise I'd have one.

The AMS and Magnus are very comparable, one spools up a tad quicker, the other makes a tad more power (tested back to back on an Evo). I'd rather send my money to Marco.

Last edited:

OoThomioO

Sad the new Intake Manifold design from AMS won't be seeing DSMs. I'm still asking myself the same question as OP but have yet to find my answer.

onesickcrx

Quoting 4thStroke:
I would love to see a log or video of a large 35R seeing full boost by 3700RPM with a JMF race manifold.

No logs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I deleted everything once I sold all the motor stuff from my car. But it was a twin scroll 35R so that has a lot to do with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

4thStroke

Quoting OoThomioO:
Sad the new Intake Manifold design from AMS won't be seeing DSMs. I'm still asking myself the same question as OP but have yet to find my answer.

We won't be missing out on anything.

throughfaith323

Thanks for the input guys. Has anyone come across evidence on any forums in there past forum browsing?

I won't be shelling out the money for that new Magnus cast manifold. I will be keeping the race manifold for now unless anybody finds evidence stating I should go a different route.

I wish we had some flow tests on these manifolds showing the flow through each runner.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts