The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bought a '90 Galant GSX

I have enough experience with DSMs to be dangerous, but rather unfamaliar with this oddity. Bought a 1990 Galant GSX for 400 bucks. Lots of hear-say with this one, so im here to get the truth on interchange. Its staying non turbo, but needs more LSD... (open light rally car in the works).

GSX_TC

Can you post some pics?

GSX_TC

Cool

my question is what are the differences? Im assuming that a 1g dsm transmission and rear end can direct swap, at least from how it LOOKS. Im hoping someone has had one before. The transmission numbers did not match some other normal transmissions, but its looks the same. So im hoping its just internal differences, and transmission to transfer case spline oddities.

GSX_TC

Get with GSXCONVERT on here, he can tell u all about those galant GSX's

JSchleim18

Welcome and nice purchase.

The Galant GS-X can use the DSM/GVR-4 drivetrain. It is a direct swap. The rear end and transmission are in fact different. It has longer gearing. I am not 100% sure if you can still use the transfer case.

dlesser

I have a 1990 GGSX too. Looks nice sitting next to the VR-4 too :)

The transmission is different...weaker and the final drive ratio is different so that means your rear diff will need to be GGSX specific. I got lucky and found another GGSX at the junk yard and pulled the rear diff because mine is going out.

Since it has no turbo it won't have knock sensor....the throttle body is also slightly different too. There are a lot of little differences but nothing that will cause a problem.

If you plan to push it I would swap in a transmission and rear diff from a DSM or VR-4. Just make sure you do both the transmission and the rear diff.

I use mine to daily drive. Slow car but it has AWD and I am waiting for snow :)

this is car an eventually open light rally car. I have a Group 2 Rx7 at the moment, and while rear wheel drive is fun and easy / cheap to getting running, id like to venture into awd some, but the full on open class is too expensive and bit outside my skill level. Open light is basically AWD and no turbo, no engine larger than 2600cc. So this car will be a perfect candidate. Plus you can actually SEE out of the windshield unlike the DSM...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned