The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo 8 upgrade for GVR4

maxash0775

Guys I know this has been asked a million times but I could not find what I was looking for in the search. With all of the evo 8 parts in the market and pricing getting low on parts I want to know what is needed to upgrade to evo 8 turbo. I know you need manifold, injectors and turbo but what else and is it worth it.

Thanks

Brunoboy

Not worth the time and effort, it's been done but seriUsly just buy a b16g or evo316g.
-shane

Brunoboy

at the end of it all, the juice is NOT worth the squeeze. For the money and time spent, you can have a nicely upgraded car with a turbo that will fit our cars no hassle.
-Shane

Okayplayer

^ +1 I agree with brunoboy on this one. It takes a fair amount of modification to make this happen, and the turbo alternatives that are out there can be had sans the headache. 68HTA through Forced Performance would be a great choice of turbo. But for the bang for your buck quotient, I'd go Evo 3 16g. That's an Evo turbo too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BrandonEchols

What about THIS?

I'm thinking if you could run the Evo 9 MR turbo, which is a little better than the 8 version, and a stock cast mani (both of which can be had very cheap), and use them, rotate the compressor housing, and make a custom DP, you could be set for a very cheap price...

CutlassJim

Then buy it and do it. Not everything in life can be done for you. As far as the juice not being worth the squeeze I disagree. While the Evo 8-9 turbos are still 16Gs the twinscroll and improved compressor aero are a very worthwhile upgrade. I think there are a lot of people out there who underestimate a higly tuned 16G car, they can be brutally fast.

boostx

The Evo 9 turbo have made 500 hp and almost the same in TQ and what i have been told they are extremely quick.

Brunoboy

I was stating the juice isn't worth the squeeze in the sense that there are plenty of bolt on turbos that can be had for around the same price or cheaper than making a custom set up and it would make the same or more power than a viii/ix turbo. I know what a ix turbo can make(brother owns a ix) but I'm not going to waste my time trying to convert my car to a 180 degree swapped turbo when I can bolt on a turbo meant for our cars and produce the same amount of power.
-shane

raptorWagon

Custom is different, different is good, cookie cutter is boring. If he is serious then why shouldn't he do it?

CutlassJim

Quoting brunoboy:
I was stating the juice isn't worth the squeeze in the sense that there are plenty of bolt on turbos that can be had for around the same price or cheaper than making a custom set up and it would make the same or more power than a viii/ix turbo. I know what a ix turbo can make(brother owns a ix) but I'm not going to waste my time trying to convert my car to a 180 degree swapped turbo when I can bolt on a turbo meant for our cars and produce the same amount of power.
-shane

I'm not talking about max power like most of the dyno queens on the net, I'm talking about response and power under the curve. You ARE NOT going to find a turbo that hits like a 9 turbo. If the thing was ball bearing it would be godlike. The new BW EFR line might do it.

RedTwo

I think an adaptor flange will move the turbo and exhaust too close to the power steering and alternator, probably even clashing with it.
Your only options are really:
a) custom make everything
b) buy the Rev Shift manifold for the sale price of $699.99 and hope there are no fitment issues
c) use factory parts and relocate most of the items that run off the crank pulley.

broxma

I've looked at this extensively already. The problem is the DP and the subframe brace. The exhaust outlet from the O2 housing essentially hits the center lateral brace. You could rebuild the brace, but then you're faced with problem two. The DP needs to go under the oil pan. Stock Evo mani and turbo, that's simply not going to happen with anything but a totally custom DP and it will have two horrific 90 degree bends before it even gets under the pan. Option 3, dump the exhaust straight to the ground I guess, or out the side.

Quoting Boostx:
The Evo 9 turbo have made 500 hp and almost the same in TQ and what i have been told they are extremely quick.

This is true. It has made at least 522 WHP on an aluminum rod motor running 10.5/1 compression on E90 with about 7 grand in head work, at 35+ pounds of boost. Not exactly something I would call practical, but technically true.

/brox

GSX_TC

Didn't STM just build a white Evo that went into the 9's on the stock turbo?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts