The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Brake Options

Lukefraizer

So I was at the track today and realized that the stock brakes really don't do their job well at all! I was wondering what you all had tried and what you found to be the best way to go for a good track brake set up?

GSX_TC

boostedinaz

Drag or road course?

The brakes above are for a drag car.

turbowop

I don't know if the OP is talking about road course or drag, but those ain't gonna cut it on a road course.

*edit* Damnit, McButterpants beat me again!

BTW, I run TCE brakes on the front of my car, which consist of Wilwood 4-pot calipers and 13" rotors with aluminum hats. Pad changes are extremely easy due to the style of caliper allowing a quick change to a more track bred pad if wanted. I have really enjoyed this setup over the years, though it's only seen street use. Not that I haven't gotten them hot... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Last edited:

GSX_TC

i thoight since he said track he meant drag, sorry

kartorium

I would be willing to guess that very few people need more than the stock brakes at a drag strip.

Like Mark, I run a Wilwood TCE kit. Stock rears (design) with a Wilwood prop valve. This setup works very well.

Cy really liked the Stoptech, overall it sounds like one step better for track duty than the Wilwood setup.

You can also run the Baer/GM package.

Or you can stay mitsu and run a 3kgt setup.

I think companies like ksport and whatnot even have packages available for a reasonable price. My gut feeling is to stay away from that route, but I've never actually done any research on it.

Lukefraizer

Are you all also running a 5 lug swap on those to make the wilwood set up work? It is road course and I am running the 4 lug still and cant seem to find anything to put on other than the 3kvr4 brake set up. I do like the ability to change them out easier and have the 4 pot in the front and keep the backs stock with some better pads.

kartorium

I have the 5 lug swap. Mark has the stock 4 lug though. You can get the TCE kit or the Stoptech kit in either 4 or 5 lug.

Switching to 5 lug is a good idea for better wheel options anyway.

jepherz

Staff member
I have the GM/mustang fronts with larger motors on the rear. With aggressive pads and good fluid it holds up well at the track. My only complaint is that the seals tend to melt from the heat. However, I think a lot of big brake calipers don't use dust seals at all, so they are probably worse for street use.

I wouldn't even try stockers at the track!

Lukefraizer

I have been looking for the wilwood kit and nothing is seeming to come up. where did yall' get yours from? I am planning on keeping the 4 lug for now than moving up later. Right now I just have to get something on my car!

boostedinaz

turbowop

Quoting Lukefraizer:
I have been looking for the wilwood kit and nothing is seeming to come up. where did yall' get yours from? I am planning on keeping the 4 lug for now than moving up later. Right now I just have to get something on my car!

The hats on my TCE kit are drilled for both 4 or 5-lug. So you can later swap to 5-lug without issue.

ToddTCE

Most if not all, of my 1G Eclipse kits are a direct cross over to the Galant VR4.

I'm out of town this week but back late Saturday. If anyone has specific questions or need please call me or email me directly and I'll try my best to help you out.

Todd

Lukefraizer

Bringing this up again.... Would anyone that has one of wilwood kits mind posting up dimensions of the hats. Since I have the rotors I will probably just have the hats custom made. I need the offset of the hats so the calipers wont hit the rim.

Luke

kartorium

Are you running a different caliper bracket or a different rotor than what Todd offers?

If you are, it would be a lot easier to just buy them from him. If you aren't, than even if you get someone here to give you dims, they'll probably be wrong.

Lukefraizer

The rotors and hats are what are different. I have everything else but just need the hat offset.

ToddTCE

.825 for some,.525 for others and .385 for a few.

But that's only as good as the required offset relative to the caliper being centered on the rotor, clearance to other things, and the form of mounting the caliper uses and the hat bolt circle to name a few.

I have a host of hats in two different bolt circles 8 on 7.625 and 12 on 8.375, add to that the entire Wilwood catalog of hats in totally different bolt patterns and offsets. Not that I'm overly concerned on making money off you but unless you make them in house I doubt you'll do much better then simply buying some from from a supplier (me or otherwise) compared to running two pieces.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts