The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4ws light is on, puddle under my car.... easiest way to delete?

Brunoboy

I have read the how to's, some are confusing and some need better pics. I am pretty sure its the 4ws lines that are leaking and not the PS lines. Whats the easiest way to delete the 4ws WITHOUT Welding anything? what parts would I need to get. and How much time does it take on AVG to do this? Can I just plug the two lines at the reservoir and call it a day, or do i really have to follow it down the rack? what about the rear end lines?
-Shane

transparentdsm

if it is the 4ws line coming out of the rack, pull the two lines off and check to see if the rubber o-ring's are rotted out, or just replace them anyway. i had a leak that was doing the same huge puddle every time i parked and i drained it pulled the lines re o-ringed them, added teflon tape and no more leaks. if your just trying to delete 4ws then remove the lines from the power steering rack and get two bolts to plug the lines you removed.

Brunoboy

i can leave the lines where they are to the back?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
You can if you want, but it may still leak fluid from the rear unless you empty that part out.

BTW, the best rack block-offs I have found are two oil pan drain plug bolts and crush washers. Sealed my rack perfectly. 14x 1.5 mm thread.

Brunoboy

how long does it take to do this process? and that sounds good, i saw it was leaking behind the transfercase close to the driveshaft area.

Launch

If I wanted a non- steering rear AWD Id buy a EVO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

two rubber lines on passanger side seem to be the first to leak, besides the PS pump web of lines.

Brunoboy

It's above that weird Y shaped metal bracket thing.

transparentdsm

it will take you all of 5 minutes to block it off, but is it leaking from the line or from the area that it threads back together? if its at the thread part and you really want to keep your 4ws, drain the fluid and unbolt it and check the rubber o-ring, mine looked like it was coming from the y also and i drained it all out, clean it up really really good, then had a friend add fluid while the car was slightly jacked up so i could fit under it, with the car running and had him turn the wheel left and right and it ended up going all the way back to the rack at that o-ring ther and it was running across the top of the line all the way to the way then pouring out there.

depending on what you really want 4ws or no 4ws depends on what to do, both processes are extremely easy, there are only a few bolts and there the same bolts that have to be pulled anyway. i went with keeping the 4ws because i really like it and i wanted to keep the car as stock as possible, aside from a few things, that are only visual.

its all a matter of preference, do what will make you happiest with the car! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

MellowVR4

i have the same crap happenin to 578/2000 aswell, i havent got around to fix it but im off tomorow so maybe ill get around it then lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

NickDromez

iv been driving with no power steering for a long time now because of this same problem. shane, can u update when you figure out what is wrong?

Brunoboy

ill find out where its leaking from asap, and Yea Nick, I will let you know when i figure it all out. At the moment im not sure whether i like the 4ws or not, I drive the car rarely but i can tell the difference when i hit a turn without it and with it.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The most typical leak area near the rack is one of the hard pipes on the rack that drops down to the "y thing" where it joins to the rubber hoses. The pipe up there is covered by a rubber holder that must hold moisture over time and rusts out.

Tre3zy

id take it off... just waiting on funds on mine... drove my boys 2g AWD and i tell ya its so much better without it... in my opinion... the car is so much more predictable in the turns...

Brunoboy

I noticed that with both my 1g and 2g, I liked it and when the 4ws light came on I can tell a difference when driving around.

Brunoboy

If someone wanted to find me, they can find me by following the trail of powersteering fluid......lol, I took off the cross member and power washed everything. If I run my car on Jack stands it doesnt leak. I drive it around and it leaks.......I couldnt see anywhere it would leak from except these two bolts that the lines connect to the Rack I assume. These lines drop down to the Y and then connect to the rubber lines. Can I cap off the PS reservoir and then cap them off here?:
VR4002.jpg

and then remove the rest of the lines back and do I cap off from the rear in the same spot? I didnt see a picture anywhere that shows me what to do in the rear end as I am wanting to keep the 3 bolt rear.
-shane.

Brunoboy

Can someone tell me where the other one is? I am just going to plug the steering rack and pressure the lines so that all the fluid comes out.
-Shane

4323-0-0-0.jpg

I'm in the process of doing the same thing.

click

Anyone want a manual rack? I'll trade for a PS rack.

Last edited by a moderator:

donkeylips

With more time/resources, I like running a DSM rack. I'm also running a DSM PS reservoir and rear diff, so there's no sign of the 4WS.

citymunky

Quoting ctech99:
I'm in the process of doing the same thing.

click

Anyone want a manual rack? I'll trade for a PS rack.

If you have a manual rack that you are trying to get rid of, I have a Power Steering rack for you.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts