The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Groove in the Timing Belt?

Galactica

I replaced my Valve cover the other day and obviously had the cam cover off to do it and noticed a quarter inch wide groove that looks like was evenly dug into the timing belt on the inside just before the inside edge. It's cut maybe an 1/8" deep into the timing belt. What would cause this and is the timing belt compromised to the point that it will need replacement?? It would really suck if it did because I can't imagine it would be cheap to fix. Here's a pic. Thoughts??

524of1000

On the oil pan there are 2 bolts that are shorter than the rest. My bet is that they were mixed up and the longer ones used in their place. They would be located near the oil pump gear.

Galactica

Thanks man. Is this something that I can check from underneath the car?

Barnes

You should not drive the car. Replace the belt now. You should be able to remove the offending bolts easily from the bottom of the pan without pulling the whole thing off, but the damage is done.

Galactica

You think it's really that bad?? I haven't been driving the car hard at all, but you think it's completely toast??

Brianawd

Quote:
You think it's really that bad??

Don't be stupid and cheap. REPLACE NOW. It will save you lots of money in the long run /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barnes

Quoting Galactica:
You think it's really that bad?? I haven't been driving the car hard at all, but you think it's completely toast??

A)The belt is toast

B)It is now very prone to failure, no matter how you drive.

Your choice, a $75 belt and an afternoon of work OR up to 16 bent valves, broke pistons, etc etc which will cost you WAY more.

Galactica

OK OK I get the picture. That's why I was asking you guys. I'll look up an FAQ about how to change the timing belt on this thing, because I've never done one and I don't want to drop 500+ bucks on taking it to a shop to have it done. You guys do make it sound like it's not too big a deal. What timing belt would you guys recommend I buy then?

boostedinaz

Stock replacment from the dealer. Yes, the dealer as in a Mitsu belt.

They aren't that hard. Your first time will take a LONG time. Some people make it a point to say they can do a timing belt in 45 seconds. So far I have yet to see any sort of award for getting things done uber fast. Take your time, clean things up, and double check everything. Once you have done a few they will get easier.

GSX_TC

Quoting 524of1000:
On the oil pan there are 2 bolts that are shorter than the rest. My bet is that they were mixed up and the longer ones used in their place. They would be located near the oil pump gear.

this is most likely it, you beat me to the punch. i had this exact same thing happen to me when i first picked up my car.

Galactica

Thanks for all the quick replies guys! Now I just need to order one and find an FAQ on what to do.

Galactica

I'll buy that kit. Looks like a good one for sure. Just ordered the belt from Mitsu. 38 bucks. The tensioner belt is 36 but 4 days minimum out. Not sure if I need to replace the tensioner belt however seeing as the motor "apparently" has less than 1000 on the rebuild.

Barnes

Well, considering this failure is due to a mechanical issue, the belt is the only thing that really needs to be replaced. Assuming everything else under there was replaced when it should have been.

89Mirageman

Sorry if I missed it but do you have any idea when the t-belt was done last? If it were me I would buy a new water pump, all new tensioners and seals. No way I'd go through all that labor and just slap a belt on.

Barnes

From my understanding this engine is supposed to be a pretty fresh rebuid. This is not an uncommon screw up. So as long as nothing else under the cover is damaged, only the t-belt needs to be replaced.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting Galactica:
I'll buy that kit. Looks like a good one for sure. Just ordered the belt from Mitsu. 38 bucks. The tensioner belt is 36 but 4 days minimum out. Not sure if I need to replace the tensioner belt however seeing as the motor "apparently" has less than 1000 on the rebuild.

If you were priced a timing belt for $38, your dealer is either generous, high or selling non-OE parts. They pay more than that for it from Mitsubishi.

boostedinaz

Quoting Barnes:
From my understanding this engine is supposed to be a pretty fresh rebuid. This is not an uncommon screw up. So as long as nothing else under the cover is damaged, only the t-belt needs to be replaced.

The person who also told him it was just done didn't put the right bolts in the right places. Sometimes the 100 mile rebuild isn't as described.

Galactica

Quoting iceman69510:
Quoting Galactica:

If you were priced a timing belt for $38, your dealer is either generous, high or selling non-OE parts. They pay more than that for it from Mitsubishi.

That's what the guy told me, straight from the mitsubishi parts department. I sure hope it's OE Mitsubishi, or I'll buy that Greddy one I found for 52 bucks. I'm seeing the genuine Mitsu belts online going for around 65 bucks, so we'll see. I gotta say, after reading that VFAQ, I'm not really looking forward to this....

Terry Posten

Just make sure you set the motor at "top dead center" so all the marks line up BEFORE you lock the tensioner down and remove the old belt. Then just make sure every mark is spot on when you release the tensioner pin after the new belt is on and you will be good.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts