The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stuttering in 5th Only on Full Throttle

Galactica

I noticed this morning driving to work that the car will start stuttering if I hit the gas at highway speeds in 5th. It will start spooling good, but as soon as the boost light starts ramping up on the dash the car starts to stutter like it's either missing or pulling timing or something. This is going 60-65 already over 3K RPM's. HOWEVER, in the other gears at lower speeds I have no such problem. I get full boost and good power. The only thing that changed was I just filled my tank with Shell super and I've been running 76 Super. You think it could be bad gas?? Bad MAF? Thanks everyone.

Dorian

Terry Posten

Sounds like the BOV is fluttering. I have seen that happen in 5th gear in other GVR4s as well.

Galactica

So the spring might be shot in the BOV and I should replace the whole thing? Why would it do it only in 5th and not in the other gears??

turbowop

Sounds like ignition to me. Spark plugs and wires good? It'll start that kind of stuff in 5th gear due to the load and then the lower gears as time goes on and the problem gets worse.

Galactica

I just changed the plugs and put in a set of MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires. They were used, but I got them from a member here and they appeared to be in nearly new condition. What is the correct gap for the plugs? I put in some standard NGK plugs and set the gap at .030.

Galactica

I would have to get an AFR gauge. Is there another way to see what the AFR is without actually having a gauge hooked up? I did notice that when it was stuttering the boost lights in the dash were all lit and it seemed to start its stutter ass soon as the last light came up. Those lights are hooked up to the MAF correct?

Barnes

Try gapping your plugs down to .028"

Also, I don't trust MSD wires. Run the car at night in the dark and look at your spark plug wires. You might find they are arcing all over the place.

Galactica

Well that would definitely suck and be a complete waste of money...I hope I didn't get duped on those wires. They sure seem like a heck of a nice set. I will take a look though. I still am wondering if the OP is correct that the BOV is fluttering since he's seen that problem before...I just want this thing for a DD and don't want to dump a whole bunch of money in it. I'd like to keep it relatively stock and just have it in fine running condition for the next owner when and IF I ever sell it. Who knows though, I might end up with the mod bug and just go stupid with it.. LOL!

bazeng

Comp surge? I get this on my car with low Rpm and high gear. Basically it is the turbo being more efficient than the engine at that point in time so it shutters and sounds like a helicopter. I get around it by dropping gears into a more efficient rpm.

The only way to get fully around it is to make less boost down low.

Just a suggestion.

Galactica

Thanks for that man. I don't Think it would be compressor surge...I don't think. Only because when it does it I'm already pushing over 3000 up to 4000 RPM's. These things are geared super low compared to what I'm used to. Even my 2005 Legacy GT wagon 5-spd had longer gears and it was running a factory strengthened WRX tranny. I will for sure re-gap the plugs down to .028 and if it keeps doing it, I'll probably look at getting another BOV. I checked the spark plugs last night and couldn't see any arcing in the dark, so I think they're probably OK, but I'm still going to Ohm them out as well. Thanks for everyone's input! You guys are awesome!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned