The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Turbo oil feed question

Okayplayer

I have a E316G turbo that I don't want to kill. My car has a history of killing turbos. I wanted to check if my turbo is getting proper oiling. The oil feed line from the head seems to be in ok condition, nothing stopping the flow. So I sprayed a little bit of WD40 into the oil feed side of the turbo cartridge. It just sat there. I tried rotating the turbo, but still nothing. Is this normal? Does the turbo only accept pressurized oil?

biglady112

It will only weep through. You can't get much out of it from the top. If you flood the center section from the bottom it will all come back out.

We did not check to see if the feed line had a blockage. It may be worth while to pull it and see if it is free flowing with air, water, wd40 anything you can see or feel coming out the other side. And maybe stick something flexible in the oil return, or just replacing it all together. It may be clogged(or not as well).

What happened after you guys left? What did the car do?

Is the 16g ok then?

rdomeck

I would look into feeding the turbo from the oil filter housing. The oil feed from the head is at the very end of the oil system and doesn't give you much oil. The oil line feed kit is less than $100....Much cheaper than a turbo and really easy to install. I cheap bit of insurance!

Okayplayer

We were leaving for the car show and the boost cut out @ 6 grand. From there on it would not boost past 0. We stopped @ a gas station and while the car was off I blew a coolant line. We replaced it onsite and the car drove fine to the show with no boost. I took the exhaust manifold off today. And both sides were spinning freely. I checked the oil line by spraying wd40 through it and it only weeped through the other side. I blew through it (yuck) and found it hard to blow thru. I noticed the outlet for the line is considerably smaller than the inlet. I have an oil line to feed from the ofh, but does that send too much oil pressure?

BluFalcon

Not if you have the proper sized restrictor inline from the OFH. You said that both sides of the turbo were spinning freely? Did you snap the shaft?

Last edited:

Okayplayer

I was concerned that it might have happened because earlier that day we removed my old turbo which spun freely, with a lot of play, and the turbine wheel was sheared clean off and wedged in the housing. So the tiny hole that the oil feeds into is not enough to limit the amount of oil pressure that enters the turbo?

BluFalcon

Oil supply from the OFH is a much greater volume of oil and at a lot higher pressure as well. A restrictor would be a good idea, especially if you removed the balance shafts and blocked off the feed holes in the block.

Okayplayer

Ok, so I do have the balance shafts deleted and the oil passages block off. I will try the restrictor and see how it works. Thanks for the help.
So now I'd like to tackle the other side of this issue. What would cause the car to suddenly lose all boost? I have not found a boost or exhaust leak. The one thing I haven't checked is the ECU. Could it possibly have retarded my timing so much that it would not produce any positive pressure?

biglady112

Stock mitsubishi turbos have a "restrictor" cast into the center section. If you look in there you will see the hole get pretty small in there.

So is the turbo ok or what? Feeding from the filter housing is fine. We have run them both unrestricted and restricted. We ran a small 16g un restricted for 80,000 miles. Then pulled it off, cleaned it and sold it. Never heard otherwise so we assume it still lives.

Could be a nice boost leak(did you perform a boost leak test?), nice exhaust leak(could be it, but would have to be super bad).

Unless the ecu failed, you would not really notice any boost related issues. And even at that, it would have other issues or might not even start. 98% not likely ecu related. When I drove it, it is exactly what a stocker should have fealt like.

You sure on boost leaks? Does the turbo spin nice and easy? Have you removed it from the car?

mikus

if there's sufficient axial movement the blades can be pushed against the CHRA while boosting, likely on hotside. It'd still spin freely & seem fine otherwise. Push in/pull out and see if it catches during spin.

Okayplayer

I will have to test for leaks again. Last time it was coming off the jpipe so badly that the rest of the system wouldn't pressurize. So maybe. I did not take the turbo out, just exhaust manifold. I will see if there is any axial play tonight. Plus is will install the line to the ofh

biglady112

If the stock line is free and clear, I would just run that. Nothing wrong with the stainless housings, but you know it is just right if you feed it from the head. Either way is ok though. Let us know about the turbo. If it spins fine it is a intercooler system problem.

The damn wastegate arm is still attached right?

And check the inside of the I/C hose that runs topside of the manifold. It is pretty damn close to that FP mani and may have blown (melted) through. It would be hard to tell from the outside because of that weave crap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Okayplayer

Alright, I'm out on my moment of truth. I just put everything back together. I also changed the maf, just in case. Oil line seemed good. Started the car with line removed, and got good oil flow. I'm bout to go drive it and see how it does. Wish me luck.

Okayplayer

No change, I'm gonna call it a night, car still ain't boosting. Not getting any leaks. Hmmm...

Okayplayer

Could it possibly be a bad injector or fuel pressure regulator? I heard a weird hollow chug sound from behind the engine. Any ideas?

biglady112

Maybe you should just bring the car down to me and we will see if we can fix it. I have plenty of tools. Do you have a boost leak tester? I don't. And the only one I have access to is a 4" tester. Maybe you can make one if not then bring the car down. I live off I25 and I70. Maybe some time to run through the car willget her working.

Okayplayer

That would be great help. I just don't want to undo all the work I recently did putting in the new motor. I'll have to see when I have some time available soon. Truly appreciated.

biglady112

You just need some experienced eyes on it. Bring the car and boost leak tester. Heck, leave it here and I can take care of it for you. Or at least diagnose it. I can make my fiance park outside.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts