The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How to bypass fan resistor?

cupajoe

I'm trying to figure out how to bypass the fan resistor so it onlys run on high. How would I go about doing this? Do I just unplug the connector and jump the two prongs together with a wire?

Thanks, Joe

If you jumper the two wires together it will still operate on a high and low. I have aftermarket fans with no resister box and the radiator fan switch turns on the low side. The switch on the back of the tstat housing activates the high side. You could connect the wire from the t-stat switch to the green wire on the radiator switch and the radiator switch will activate both high and low relays giving you a high only outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

cupajoe

okay guess I'll just leave it alone then, rather not have more wiring/hack job. So with an aftermarket fan you don't use the resistor? Because I have a slim fan but still plugged the resister in, do I need it for the slim fan?

spooling92vr4

What if you just wired it straight from the battery with a relay and a fuse, and use the stock fan power as a signal to turn on the relay on?

Andy_S

Quoting spooling92vr4:
What if you just wired it straight from the battery with a relay and a fuse, and use the stock fan power as a signal to turn on the relay on?

This. Would be the safest way.

fastfalcon94

Just posted this in another thread the other day. You can remove both relays. Just cut the resistor wires, remove the resistors, then solder the remaining wire ends together. Now when your fans should be on low, they will be on high. Pull a/c fuse and your a/c button will turn on your fans:)

Stock, your coolant temp sensor on the thermostat neck need to see 190 for the thermostat to open. Once this happens coolant flows to the radiator. Once another sensor in the radiator sees 180 degrees the fan should kick on low. When it sees 200 the fan should kick on high.

If you don't have a/c or you want to test it another way, you can pull your a/c fuse. Now pressing the a/c button should turn both fans on low. I don't have a/c so I pulled the fuse. I also got rid of the resistor packs on both fans and soldered the wires together. Now when my radiator sensor sees 180 it turns the fan on high. And if I press the a/c switch both fans turn on high instead of low. Basically low and high both equal high now.

cupajoe

Awesome, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for the detailed explanation, appreaciate it.

cupajoe

fastfalcon94, So I just need to cut the black and blue wire going into the resister and connect them? That simple? Please correct me if im wrong, I just don't want to mess up any electrical things.

BPU925

sorry for bringing this back from the dead....but i also have a question....can i just wire an after market fan into the stock power wires to the stock radiator fan? so it can run on hi and lo....

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts