The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1st engine build.

yeti

should i replace my oil and water pump while doing this build i will also be removing the balance shaft and ordering the parts needed for the elimination kit off of vfaq.com

i know i should just want to make sure before i buy new oil and water pump

Yeah man since u already rite there y not. insted in later having to rip it apart again just to do all that when u wore already there.

SmoothCustomer

What exactly are you doing? If you are just replacing the head gasket and timing belt then no, don't bother with the oil pump, but anytime the timing belt is being replaced the water pump should be replaced as well. If you are replacing internals then the oil pump is all about how it looks. I would probably replace it myself just so all the parts are new.

yeti

is this right oil pumps cost about 150.00 and water pumps how much do they run

and i dropped off both head and block im doing a full rebuild shooting for mostly stock other than gaskets arp headstuds pistons and kevlar timing belt

mpt72

Water pumps are like 30 or so. Cheap enough that you should replace it and not worry about it. One less thing to worry about, right?

boostedinaz

Don't cheap out and replace both. Why go through all this work to half ass the little stuff?

yeti

i just dont wanna pay 160 for an oil pump can anyone recommend the best priced one?

and trust me im NOT cheaping out on the important stuff except for head-gasket cause it comes with the TOPLINE kit i ordered.
i even bought a kevlar timing belt

but the water pump i just ordered rock auto has the oil pump for about 160

any ideas

ALSO IS the balance shaft elimination kit hard? im ordering the parts from mitsu like vfaq says

Last edited:

yeti

and is the rockl auto bosch water pump worth the money it says oem replacement

and are these oil pumps from rock auto oem????

click

beck/arnley part#0280371

boostedinaz

Quoting yeti:
i just dont wanna pay 160 for an oil pump can anyone recommend the best priced one?

The oil pump is what moves the life blood of your engine I would suggest buying a good one not a cheap one.

Quoting yeti:
and trust me im NOT cheaping out on the important stuff except for......

The oil pump.

misfitsnemesis

You can get a OEM oil pump for around $220 ish through most respectable companies dsm companys.

I think this was one of the best deals

click

click

Just note it does not include new gears those are more almost $90 to $100

But like what has been said there has been hit or miss with most non OEM oil pumps. Everyone maying power is running OEM. So i make it a point to use what is trusted. Something like the oil pump is not ssomething to skimp on. It will bite you in the end and cause more damage to internals.

boostedinaz

Quoting yeti:
hahaha

so you bought yours for 300 from dealer?

and i SHOULD NOT BUY THE ONE FROM ROCK AUTO?

Yes, I did. When I redid my engine I bought damn near everything from the dealer. The local DSM guys have worked it out so we get a pretty good discount on parts.

It's a very rare occasion that I cut corners. I have seen only a handful of people say, "I'm glad I didn't buy a good solid part the first time." I do however make good money on the side fixing a LOT of half ass stuff.

Dark_Horse

So you're paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars to rebuild the engine, yet you're wanting to save a few bucks when it comes to the most important part of your engine? Cheap parts will almost always bite you in the ass.

yeti

No reason to get hasty I was just asking where everyone else bought their oil pump from, the one on slowboy seems to be the best deal.

I bought new idler pully,timing belt pulley and new tensioner

Do I need the crank shaft sprocket spacer for the balanceshaft elimination kit

Thanks to everyone for the advice

Last edited:

Lol...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

4thStroke

We aren't going to spoon feed you everything. This site has a ton of very useful information that has been built up over the year, and with something as basic as water and oil pumps, you will not have a tough time finding the right information. It's especially annoying when you ask for our input, then second guess what is said by respected members.

yeti

Quoting boostedinaz:
Quoting yeti:
hahaha

so you bought yours for 300 from dealer?

and i SHOULD NOT BUY THE ONE FROM ROCK AUTO?

Yes, I did. When I redid my engine I bought damn near everything from the dealer. The local DSM guys have worked it out so we get a pretty good discount on parts.

It's a very rare occasion that I cut corners. I have seen only a handful of people say, "I'm glad I didn't buy a good solid part the first time." I do however make good money on the side fixing a LOT of half ass stuff.

^eh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

this was not meant to sound like i was laughing at you i was laughing AT THE fact you reworded what i said as in im not cheaping out....except for the oil pump.

AND im not trying to second guess anybody at all if anything im trying to get a clarification so i dont buy the wrong piece..

I appreciate the info on this site more than my eyes them self sorry if i sound unappreciative or just trying to find an easy answer.(wording can be read in many tones).

and about the oil pump i was just suprised for it to be so expensive its my first engine build.

Last edited:

4thStroke

No worries. Just realize that it's no wise to cheap out on a part as vital as the oil pump.

Build it right the first time and it will be some time before it needs another rebuild.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts