The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Mileage with DSM link - what are you getting?

sleepyvr4

Just curious about what Olson told me - he has Link with fuel mods and stock fpr on his setup - and he's getting decent highway mileage (30mpg apparently).

I was under the impression to obtain decent mileage w/ upgraded fuel pump you needed an adjustable fpr keeping base fuel pressure down around stock (38psi ish...) Forgive my ignorance - no experience with link yet - but I'm trying to ramp up now that speed density is out...

Thanks

Colin

Your mileage will have nothing to do with the dsmlink itself. It has everything to do with the tune.

Brunoboy

i get 17 combined -___-

rgeier11

In my Talon I was able to get over 30 on a trip back from the shootout. That is with 680cc injectors, 255, built bottom end, 272's, etc.

While cruising, the ECU is in closedloop, where it maintains a 14.7:1 AFR. Unless you disable the closedloop operation, and force the ECU to run leaner in openloop, your tuning shouldn't affect the mpg. Does DSMLink 3.0 allow you to lock the ECU in openloop, like my leanburn code?

Quoting keydiver:
While cruising, the ECU is in closedloop, where it maintains a 14.7:1 AFR. Unless you disable the closedloop operation, and force the ECU to run leaner in openloop, your tuning shouldn't affect the mpg. Does DSMLink 3.0 allow you to lock the ECU in openloop, like my leanburn code?

I could see it not effecting fuel mileage if your car never sees open loop. I'm willing to bet that most of the guys on here don't fall in that category. With v3 you can lock it in open loop and you have direct access to the open loop thresholds.

All the cells in the openloop maps are RICHER than 14.7:1, so your gas mileage will be worse in openloop than in closedloop. UNLESS: you lock the ECU into openloop and then modify the openloop AFR maps so that the AFR while doing light cruising is much leaner than 14.7:1. I set my leanburn for 16.5:1, which yielded a 3-4 mpg improvement.

I fully understand this Jeff. You said that the tune wouldn't effect mileage unless the ecu was locked in open loop. I just don't see this to be true since most people don't drive their car in closed loop exclusively. An overly rich tune in any part of open loop driving (tip in, low/high boost @ 50% throttle+, WOT) should effect your mileage if you spend even half as much time in boost as I do. Maybe you're not understanding what I'm saying, it's fine if you don't. I'm not trying to/going to argue with you. We all have our own experiences and from mine, a poor tune can and will hurt your mileage if you drive your car the way most of us drive our cars.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

My car used to get about 26mpg on the highway with the Link and FIC 1150's. At the time I only ran 16psi with the FP Green but I cruised at 80mph and pretty much launched it out of every toll booth on the highway. In the city it used to get about 17mpg but traffic is horrible in NYC so it wasn't that bad.

Last edited:

turbowop

With a 2gMaf/SAFC combo, I regularly saw over 25-26mpg, and that's with a DSMchip, FPgreen, 950's, etc, etc. Now with the MAFTpro, it's a few MPG's less. Driveability is the same, it's just harder to tune the same fuel mileage out of speed density...at least for me anyway.

onesickcrx

It was when I was breaking it in. I mean I am sure I could do it again but very boring to drive not fun to do. Driving slow sucks no boost no throttle no fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif When I drove from NY-Ohio for shoot out I played around on the highway and had cruise control on for good 100 miles still was getting 28 mph with three 200+ pound guys and a big stereo system with ac on most the time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting RvlutionMtrsport:
Quoting keydiver:

I could see it not effecting fuel mileage if your car never sees open loop. I'm willing to bet that most of the guys on here don't fall in that category. With v3 you can lock it in open loop and you have direct access to the open loop thresholds.

That's exactly what Jeff is saying. Without disabling the closed loop operation and changing your maps, you can't get better mileage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

belize1334

If you're using a WB to simulate the narrowband you can change the cross-over point. Then you could get better gas mileage in closed-loop since it would target say 16:1 instead of 14.7:1.

1990ggsxnj

Is this just as good as editing the tables? What kind of mileage is anyone actually getting with WB set to 16:1?

As to keep with subject, New Thread started click

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned