The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

gvr4 brakes the same as dsms?

fastasleep

Are galant vr-4 and 1g dsm brake systems identical? I searched a lot and couldn't find an answer, but I feel as though it has been covered before. Thanks if someone can respond quickly.

JNR

Obviously the rotors are different (5-lug for dsm's vs. 4-lug for GVR4) and I *think* the calipers are, as well...As far as the ABS and such, they may share some common parts, as well as some of the flexible lines and so on...much of the hardline is different, I'm sure...

So, I would say no, they are (slightly) different, but some parts interchangeable...

CP

What are you looking to swap?

Our brakes are identical (except for the 5-lug rotors) to 93/94 1G turbo DSM "big brakes": 10.8" front rotors, 2-piston front calipers."

Last edited:

fastasleep

Rear calipers, specifically. So, yes?

atc250r

Staff member
Rear calipers are the same.

John

fastasleep

My friend has a spare rear caliper from his '91 turbo FWD dsm (Laser RS). Will that not work because it's not a 93/94, or is that only in terms of front brakes? I couldn't find a difinitive answer concerning rear caliper differences from vfaq.

atc250r

Staff member
It should be the same although FWD may make a difference the front brakes changed by year and not the rear. Remember, www.autozone.com is your friend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Look up the part for your GVR4 and then look it up for the car you want to pirate it from and if they are the same part number then you've got your answer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

John

fastasleep

Thanks John. I forgot about trying to compare part numbers. Autozone says the PN for a remanufactured Fenco rear-pass caliper is C8024 for a GVR4 and C8022 for a '91 Laser fwd. I guess they are a bit different.

Quote:
Remember, www.autozone.com is your friend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

nothing to do with autozone is your friend, except the person who's going to write you a credit on the wrong parts their co-worker just sold you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

sorry,

Last edited by a moderator:

atc250r

Staff member
OK, would it be better if I said www.napaautoparts.com is your friend Mr. NAPA? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif You're missing the point, if the part number is the same for both its a pretty safe assumption they are the same. The only way to ever know for sure is to go and try fitting the part.

John

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts