The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Civic race radiator install

iLLeffeKt vr-4

According to DSMLink the car actually runs cooler now.
Temperatures at idle before the civic swap were around 197*-205* and now around 187*-193*.
Cruising before was 190*-193* and now around 179*-183*.

I paid $150 shipped for the radiator from ebay. its 2.5" thick and looks very well built.
The fan is a 14" SPAL pull style High Performance Curved Blade Fan 1720CFM and it was $119 plus another $10 for brackets.

For the bottom mounts I used a set of dsm radiator brackets which I cut in half. then I drilled and tapped the front cross member and bolted them in. for the top I just reused a bracket that I had on the stock radiator.

the top radiator hose had to be trimmed about 1" or so to clear the fan. The bottom hose also had to be be cut about 1.5"

the civic radiator doesn't have a tap for the sensor that turns on the fans, but since I don't have AC anymore I used the sensor thats in the water neck. so its all plug and play.

180* thermostat
25/75 coolant/distilled water
1 bottle of water wetter

on to some pics:

radiator with the fan mounted on it.

side shot.

2.5" thick .

right bottom mount.

left bottom mount.

top view.

coolant temperature after letting it idle for almost 2 hours in my garage. outside temperature was about 86*

Last edited:

iLLeffeKt vr-4

civic race radiator but I don't think its available from them anymore. you might have to get in touch with them and ask whats going on.

324vr4

I have the same setup and I'm glad someone else does too with some results. How can some people run their radiators on these cars without fans?! I was leaning more towards the no fan idea for awhile until I've seen so many people with upgraded radiators still using fans and getting near stock temps....looks good and thanks for the results of your radiator mod!

-Lieb-

haha, I've been trying to tell people for soo long that these radiators are a great alternative to more expensive ones, and they give up sooo much more room in the bay.. Of course the naysayers wanted their "Facts" so there it is. God I love the Irony.

Way to play!

atc250r

Staff member
Very nice! The stock GVR4 hoses were of the correct diameter to clamp onto that radiator without being too loose?

John

a_santos

Nice write up. Way to go to silence the nay-sayers.

Looks like a very nice way to free up some room in the engine bay.

TWEAKD4

Quote:
civic race radiator but I don't think its available from them anymore. you might have to get in touch with them and ask whats going on.

It looks alot like this one HERE. Actually there are alot like this one on Ebay from all price ranges.

Last edited:

Rausch

^^^ only difference is the one you linkes is only 1 1/4 inch thick...that might not be enough... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

TWEAKD4

I tried to find dimensions on that auction and must have missed that line.

Rausch

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Quote:
Very nice! The stock GVR4 hoses were of the correct diameter to clamp onto that radiator without being too loose?John

the inlet and outlet on the civic radiator is a tad smaller so the stock hose slips on easier than on the stock radiator. but if you tighten up the clamp good there shouldn't be any issues. I've put about 400 miles on it so far and it doesn't leak at all.

What temp was it outside when you logged, i did mine in traffic with the same setup fan always on and got around 196-200?
Also strange how i did a more in depth write up about the same exact thing with the same exact mounts placed in the same way like 2 months ago and all i got was grief about it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

iLLeffeKt vr-4

*Update*
After installing this radiator I started having problems with pushing coolant into the over flow. It wasn't much and it wasn't all the time and it took me a while to figure it out. I tried few different radiator caps with no luck. I didn't know what else to do so I removed it and took it to a friends shop to have it checked out.
He told me that the flange was warped/bent and the radiator cap wasn't sealing properly.
I had him cut it off and weld the hole shut. I then purchased a DSM water neck and mounted it on the thermostat housing. No more pushing coolant after that.

1990ggsxnj

Wow great info. Has anybody here installed these while keeping the A/c? If so, how did it perform in comparison to what was already mentioned?

alansupra94

I am tempted to do mine but I might wait until after I break in my motor first.

Last thing I want is an overheat on a brand new built motor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned