The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Call outs for 1990 oil housing?

PJGross

Well, I searched VFAQ, here, net, free DSM manual, and didn't find what I was looking for. But, after some questions on this and other posts, the following was put together and edited on this thread:

I have a new 1990 oil filter housing and need to know what most of the holes are for to mount temp and pressure senders appropriately. The '90 housing seems to have 2 small tapped holes that are open from the factory? One is near the lower timing cover and the other is on the front of the housing in the oil filter inlet path.

So, from page 9-20, I am thinking that the 9 holes in the pic below are as follows, can you guys help identify them? (updated with all threads and functions noted)

1. Unused nearly max pressure, unfiltered oil port, second port from oil pump. 3/8 BSPT
2. Tapped port for stock oil pressure dummy sensor, thread is 1/8 BSPT
3. Filtered port, 3/8" BSPT , **I'm not sure if this is open to only bypassed oil or oil that is post oil cooler?
4. Oil cooler bypass Valve.
5. Oil pressure relief valve, has engine side port that needs egging out, not shown.
6. Return Oil Cooler port, M16X1.5
7. Threads for lower timing belt cover bolt, thread M6
8. Inlet Oil Cooler port, M16X1.5, first port from oil filter
9. Max pressure port, first port from the oil pump, 1/8 BSPT. Stock DSM oil pressure gauge port

Sorry if this has been done XX times, but I didn't realize there were some extra ports on the 1990 housing.

All threads identified, I'll fix the pic and post a new one.

Autometer 2268 M16 to 1/8 NPT adapters. Please note that plugs 1 & 3 are now properly ID'd as 3/8" BSPT. I was going to remove plug 1 and use that hole for my pressure gauge, but in light of plug one being 3/8" BSPT a mcmaster carr adapter should be used.

The adapter for 1/8 BSPT to 1/8 NPT is Autometer 2269 (from another member thread).

Thanks,

PJ

Last edited:

Gordian79

for port 1 i used 1/2 npt fitting it fit pretty well with no leaks.

#7 is where the timing cover bolts to the filter housing. M6x1 I think?

#2 is for the oil pressure switch (dummy light in gauge cluster.) Unsure of thread.

#9 is for the oil pressure gauge sensor that DSM's have. Unsure of thread, but the little allen head plugs that plug the oil passages in the head are a perfect fit.

PJGross

Cool. Now I just need to know where to get a post oil cooler temp reading.

I can take apart plug #3 to look at where it is at, but does anyone know off hand?

-PJ

PJGross

Ok, so #3 is the only question remaining. It is a filtered port, where RRE recommends putting the turbo oil feed line.

This gives a hint at where it is at, and I'm guessing it is post oil filter but pre-oil cooler in the oil cooler bypass passage BEFORE the bypass valve so it is always in contact with pre cooler oil whether or not the cooler is being bypassed. Does this sound right?

I will probably just tap #9 to 1/8 NPT for the autometer gauge unless someone knows of a line or sender adapter to the stock metric thread for the small holes like the dummy sensor up front?

-PJ

I used #3 for the turbo oil feed line per RRE, using their hardware.

I used #9 for the autometer oil temp gage sender. Retapped for 1/8 NPT.

I used #2 for both the oil pressure idiot light and the autometer oil pressure gage sender. Retapped the hole for 1/8 NPT. Used a brass block ell to a brass block tee, with the idiot light gage off the tee lateral, and a 12" SS braided line to the rather large autometer gage pressure sender remote mounted on a bracket off the bottom of the ABS motor.

Also, I retapped #6 and #8 for 1/2 NPT to work with common braided hose fittings.

Mike R.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts