The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What do I need to vent my BOV?

All this MAF/MAS stuff is new to me, what exactly do I need in order to vent my blow off valve atmospherically?

Terry Posten

A ECU tuning setup to covert to speed density.

AnotherNewb

A gm mas and a maf translator place between the throttle body and bov will also allow you to vta.

VPC is old school, 10yrs out of date. requires a prom for the ecu. was more of a PITA than anything else

to answer your question about it, it allowed you to run speed density back in the day. people ran them before ecmlink came out or any other decently priced devices were out for tune-ability. ecmlink is way easier than messing with the "2 o clock" or "3 o clock" positions on the dial /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Launch

Why Do you want to Vent to Atmos anyway? ...Richer, laggier between shifts? Stall out with a redlight clutch drop? ... PSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH in every parking lot for your honda buddies? ... I kid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ... no i dont

I've got a few VPC setups and over the years they've proved super easy to use. Really wish I wouldda got a Keydiver chip for one of my ecus while I could, He made it so easy and was soo knowledgeable about our ecus and other piggybacks that modify them ... Old skool solutions before big injectors were made.550, 660, 7xxcc etc and big companys like AEM, MOTEC, wenrt around except in big dawg shops and wenrt the norm. dsm link kinda brings that to us at a cheaper, easier to use factory setup. but anyway;
VPC used a 5 knob control den,IAT and MAP sensor that bypass the stock mas, plug and play harness (tho it was better to hardwire) It tricked the stock ECU to give more or less fuel depending on inj and chip you had and locked the coolant temp and other things at a low setting to give you better stock timing maps to modify.. gave you an ability to chose different modifications(gain) of what ever map was on your chip, to add or pull fuel (responce) to Add and extra inj (back in the day lol) and fine tune as well using the GCC or SAFC ... and all kinds of other stuff I cant remember lol than Now with DSM_Link and other solutions most people dont even know what it is.
90's mods FTW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

fastfalcon94

You technically don't need anything, you just will run a little rich on shifts. The stock maf is not meant to take boost so it goes right on the intake. It meters all the air that comes in and tells the ECU, I have this percentage of air coming in. The ecu compensates for it by adding the right percentage of fuel. Now if your bov vents to the atmosphere, the intake isn't seeing the air that was vented. This is how you end up with extra fuel and run rich during shifts.

However to do it right for the cheapest you have a bunch of options. A gm maf and maf-t translator would work. So would a gm maf and dsmlink v3. The gm maf is meant to see boost, so you put it after the bov. This way the bov can vent all the air it wants, and it won't matter because it's losing air before the maf calculates the air flow. In my 3000GT vr4 I ran open atmosphere with a maf and maf-t. I recently sold it all though and I'm going speed density. I'm doing it more for water in the intercooler. The humidity in the air will turn into moisture on a cool night and you'll get water in your fmic. Not a lot... But with a maf seeing boost, it's common for a drop of water to hit the maf. This will cause it to read bad and buck. It feels almost like fuel cut.

I'm trying to clean the car up a bit, I want to get either a different blow off valve or just make this setup less ghetto. The recirc. pipe is off a stock 1g bov, but the pipe itself is some kind of weird plumbing crap. I thought an open bov would be a nice option to explore. As for the sound, the car is at 20psi on an evo3, so I hear all the pshhh I need to lol

GSX_TC

how would it run if it were stock and u vented the stock BOV and capped the part of the stock MAF off? would it still have idling issues?

AnotherNewb

You have 3 mitsubishi's, you shouldn't be asking that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting Nick1389:
All this MAF/MAS stuff is new to me, what exactly do I need in order to vent my blow off valve atmospherically?

buy a honda, put a turbo on it, then leave and never come back. Simple enough?

GSX_TC

Quoting dewman:
How exactly are you going to ''cap' the maf off?

by plugging the part where the recirculation tube would normally go into the intake tract.

GSX_TC

Quoting AnotherNewb:
You have 3 mitsubishi's, you shouldn't be asking that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Lol it was a Rhetorical question man

gtluke

BOV's are open at idle, stop being a ricer homo

GSX_TC

Lol well mine on my cars arent. maybe you should tighten yours. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

gtluke

Then it doesn't work properly. Vacuum opens it, you have vacuum at idle.

steve

Quoting Nick1389:
what exactly do I need in order to vent my blow off valve atmospherically?

A good place to start:

cech-headgear.png

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned