The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

is my hks ssqv going to kill my turbo?

yeti

I recirculated my BOV finally, and as soon as I did that now I get compressor surge.

Anyone wanna shed some light.

I remember when I first got the car and didn't really know anything mechanically wise someone tried to explain it to me but I didn't understand.

Is it because it sequentially let's the air out opposed to all at once, which is forcing some air back at the turbo?

Barnes

How do you know it is compressor surge?

alansupra94

Quoting yeti:
I recirculated my BOV finally, and as soon as I did that now I get compressor surge.

Anyone wanna shed some light.

I remember when I first got the car and didn't really know anything mechanically wise someone tried to explain it to me but I didn't understand.

Is it because it sequentially let's the air out opposed to all at once, which is forcing some air back at the turbo?

How do you know its compressor surge? That doesn't sound right at all.....

AnotherNewb

Look up bov flutter or flutter dump on you tube. Very common problem with the ssqv because the internal spring is to stiff to allow the valve to open at lower vacuum levels. The older hks's had an adjustment on the back however that was only for creating a better seal if the valve was found to be leaking. Its an hks thing and im sure others will chime in with their experiances. I don't believe flutter is damaging since it mostly happens at low boost levels. 1947/2000 had/has this problem with its hks bov. The only remedy I know of is find a different bov.

yeti

I DON'T know its compressor surge. My turbo, or bov is fluttering after every shift.

So it should be damaging unless it also happens at high boost levels?

Sounds like a chirp chirp chirp,

Is there anyway to determine a difference between compressor surge and BOV flutter,
I know the bov let's air out enough cause when it was not recirculated it would dump everything with no flutter

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned