The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Just bought a 92 VR-4 i need a lil help

whats going on fellas i have a few question... my car has a leak right in the center between the block and the tranny... im thinking the main seal is bad... and it is also idles a lil rough does it need to be tuned? i have a 20g upgraded IC and pipes injectors cams and more.. thanks

jnava

Staff member
You need to emphasize on the "more" part. Any fuel mods, Link, vpc, safc, eprom chip? Please elaborate on your parts list.

here is the parts list 1992 GALANT VR4 616/1000
100.XXX MILES ORIGINAL
PERFORMANCE MOTOR MOUNTS
TURBO TIMER
HKS 272 CAMS
750cc INJECTORS
ACT FLYWHEEL & STAGE 3 CLUTCH
TEIN SUSPENSION
3IN EXHAUST
BIG FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER
HKS BOV
20G TURBO
BOOST GAUGE
LEATHER INTERIOR SUNROOF
MITSUBISHI ROOF RACK
NEW TIMING BELT 2ND GEN AIR FLOW METER

sounds like a bad main. change out both the front and the rear. just check your oil level constantly until your ready to change the seals out. the should have changed it when they did the clutch, but...most people neglect them.

as for the running rough, do a boost leak check on it.

how exactly does it run rough? does it ide rough? is it dogish under wide open throttle? does it skip?

Last edited by a moderator:

dsm10o0

I didnt see any tuning device listed on there so thats why its running rough. Get a tunning device and get that thing tuned before something goes worst.

jnava

Staff member
That's exactly what I was looking for too. Bunch of goodies with no actual tuning, you would think that engine is running dangerously close to blowing up ....Are you sure if theres an upgraded eprom chip in your ecu?

ah yes, didnt see the cams. if your running cams without any sort of management, its going to run like crap. put stock cams back in, or get some sort of engine management to effectively tune.

alansupra94

There are 272 camshafts and 750cc injectors and no tune?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

AnotherNewb

Don't for get the 20g and 2g maf.... along with injectors and cams.... yeah id say it needs tuned or returned to stock. At the very least a set of 550cc injectors to compensate for the maf sensor untill you can get dsmlink. As far as the rear main goes, fix it before you contaminate the clutch.... I hate rear main seals, $12.00 worth of parts and $400 worth of labor... just don't seam right.

jnava

Staff member
Holy water, if the PO spent some serious cash, which by the parts list and those pics, it has probably been tuned. All that and no tune and no boosting, I don't think so. Willing to bet 5 paypal bucks that it has at least an keydiver or another generic eprom tune at least.

AnotherNewb

I spy a vented to air hks bov.... that may
at have a lot to do with it running like crap. First step is to get a recirculation adapter for the blow.off valve and reconnect it to the intake tube where there is a plug in it.

bmxkid415

Quoting jnava:
Willing to bet 5 paypal bucks that it has at least an keydiver or another generic eprom tune at least.

You covering the pay pal fees?

Good point, Check the ECU (behind the passenger kick panel next to the glove box) to see if it has a chip in it.

jnava

Staff member
Sure, I think I can cover that. Plus , it would be a gift so no fees would be associated with that transaction. Check you ecu. Ya just might find a chip in there. I just can't believe the previous owner didn't tell you if he had tuned it. Btw , has it been a JSB prior to your purchase?

Imma check the ecu fellas and if it is chipped then wat? And do u guys like the car it runs good on.the highway its the fastest car ive owned

jnava

Staff member
The chip should have a sticker indicating certain parameters of which it is tuned for. It seems that you need to get a datalogger to see whats actually going on. We are just trying to help you from blowing up your car.

Last edited:

Thank you for the help guys i dont want to blow my motor as well i dont boost hard it has an appointment on monday at road race engineering in california

Launch

Its gotta have a chip in it, Thats alot mods on a stock ecu, I doubt it would even run, let alone idle. Stay outta boost; Drive it like a normal 4cyl, Check for boost leaks, check the plugs constantly,and get a datelogger stat.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts