The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

wheel fitment and offset ??s

So Im planning on getting some wheels for the galant in a couple monthes. Right now im pretty set on getting the xxr 522 wheels. My questions are how bad would wheels that had a 0 offset look on the galant or how low of offset could you go before it would look dumb. Also does anyone have any pics of galants with low offset wheels especially the xxr 522. Thanks.

Yeah your right I looked at at some xxr 527s and the highest offset they come in is 17x8.25 in a +35 offset. So I might try and get these...cause only 3mm of difference from a +38 offset shouldnt be to hard to make look good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunoboy

You can get it with a 5mm spacer

turbowop

No, that's backwards. Adding a 5mm spacer would create a +30 offset, which would cause the wheel/tire to stick out more. +35 will tuck with a little negative camber. Pics of my car in the link in my sig for reference.

Brunoboy

Turbowop is right I was thinking a +42 with a 5mm spacer=37mm offset

Ok I learned something new today...my main goal is to go for this look...
527car-800px.jpg

a little bit of concave to the wheels. So what kind of offset would i need to pull this look off on the galant...without it looking too stupid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

turbowop

You can't really do that with our cars unless you go with flares or roll the absolute sh*t out of the fenders to fit really wide wheels. Wheels with the concave look are WIDE (10"+), which require the spokes to go inward toward the center of the wheel. With our cars, you're pretty much stuck with flat spokes.

Last edited:

kartorium

You might call that XXR company and talk with them about it. From their website they make it sound like even the slightly skinnier and higher offset wheels are designed to look that way. Generally Mark is right, but who knows, maybe get some actual photos from that XXR of a specific wheel and offset to confirm that they actually look that way in a sane offset and width.

Brunoboy

it depends on rim, size, tire size, and offset,Camber is a big part as well. Thats just me though,In Norcal we a lot of us up here are part of that Hella Flush mnovement.

Yeah I like the hellaflush look...so brunoboy if you could give me some specs on what you guys are running for wheels like that.

Brunoboy

Each car is different, I'm looking for a setup that works, on my brothers Wrx wagon he runs a 18x9 +35 with a 235/40/18 camber in all around, my boys civic hatch 95 runs a 16x9 front and 16x10 rear not sure what offset but it's in superstreet and all that. Another homie is running a 18x10 I think +27 on his Evo viii, long story short you just need to find a rim that fits and with the right offset. If you want concave a lot of rota replicas are like that compared to real rims.

GSX_TC

why is that hellaflush sh*t is looked down of on here? i dont get it. all it is, is just the stretched tire look with a decent suspension drop. or do i have it wrong?

H05TYL

Some people like to pretend that vr4's actually handle well to begin with.
Or maybe it's that it's hard to show off you sweet fitment when the car is on jackstands?

18x9 +30 with 235/40's fits with a bit of a roll/pull. There's plenty of pics of my car with this setup scattered around this site.
A slightly narrower and/or shorter tyre (I'm swapping to 225/35) will stop it rubbing the fender at full lock and allow you to run lower.
Bare in mind though you will need some sort of roll centre correction in the front - not just to restore some of the handling, but to give clearance between the steering tie rod and the crossmember. Plus adjustable upper arms for the rear.
If you are happy to run a lot of camber I reckon you could probably get an 18x10 +15 with a 225/40 under the rear paired with an 18x9 +12 and 215/40's at the front it would make for a very agressive look.

The main problem (aside from the tie rod issue mentioned above) when going for the hellaflush look with these cars is that the sump/gearbox/crossmember hang down several inches lower than the bottom of the front bumper, so even when the car is stupidly low, it doesn't look it... so some form of front lip/side skirts will be needed - there's nothing off the shelf and it would take a clever design to suit the rest of the body and not look silly.
I've been looking at adapting one of the kits availible for toyotas jzx81 (a similar vintage, big, not very pretty sedan) but I need to have a measure of one and see how much will need cutting/altering to make it fit.

It's your car, so do what you like, but be prepared to cop some flack around here!

turbowop

Quoting GSX_TC:
why is that hellaflush sh*t is looked down of on here? i dont get it. all it is, is just the stretched tire look with a decent suspension drop. or do i have it wrong?

Because that's form before function. It's for looks only, and does jack sh*t for performance. What the f*** is the point of such wide wheels only to run a 225 width tire? It's f***ing stupid. Anybody that wants performance wants the widest rubber possible, not the widest rim with the narrowest tire possible. When a car is built up for performance the correct way, form will follow and the car will look killer. Do it the other way, and the car will always look like a shitbox. It's no better than adding all the Autozone accessories to your car.

Our cars do not have the correct suspension geometry/components/wheelwells/rideheight to pull off the "hellaflush" look. Lower the car too far and your geometry goes all out of whack, you ride bumpstops, and the lower crossmembers/trans/oilpan will be practically scraping. I see so many n00bs come onto this forum asking about it, then a bunch of people saying it can be done, but I have yet to see one single picture of a GVR4 done like this and actually pull off the "look".

Last edited:

K maybe I used the term hellaflush wrong... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif I like concave look with the car lowered down enough so theres no wheel gap...i dont like stretched tires. Id just want no wheel gap and wheels that have the concave look. Sorry for starting this flame war lol.

turbowop

I like the concave look as well, but I also realize that wheels with that look are like that because they are wide and have an offset that creates it. Such wheels do not fit the GVR4 without substantial fender rolling, flares, negative camber, etc. Or you can get some and just let them stick way out of the fenders. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Well if i got +35 offset how much pulling would i have to do...i dont mind a little negative camber..nothing to crazy.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts