The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Long Rod Motor

littleb

I'm thinking about building a long rod motor but I can't seem to find anywhere that sells 156mm 6 bolt rods. Does anyone have any idea of who may make them? And if not, is there any company that would do a special order for some?

Struc

Magnus Motorsports.

Quoting littleb:
I'm thinking about building a long rod motor but I can't seem to find anywhere that sells 156mm 6 bolt rods. Does anyone have any idea of who may make them? And if not, is there any company that would do a special order for some?

Can special order a complete rotating assembly from them.. My Friend just bought a complete 2.4 set up from Magnus. He spent right at 3k with shipping and upgraded wrist pins, balanced up to 12k!

Jesse

littleb

I'm just a college student so I don't have that kinda cash laying around... Haha. But those rods definitely seem nice. I've also been looking at some aluminum rods but I've heard that a lot of people have problems with them. How true is this?

Aluminum rods = race car.

Longevity is the biggest issue. Definitely not for a daily driver.

AnotherNewb

Its just rods and pistons, if he is using a 4g63 block and crank then he's into rods and pistons for under a grand /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

cheekychimp

The issue isn't with the rods but the rod bolts. There are plenty of guys running aluminium rods in a street car. I hardly think they are a part for a budget build though. Not much point just doing the rods.

alansupra94

^^^^^

Not so much. The problem is aluminum is strong but will "mis-shape" over time. They should be pulled every year or two to check clearances.

dewman

I could of sworn someone in the PNW was doing a test with aluminum rods in their evo...English,maybe? Think he was daily driving it,to settle the myth of whether you could DD them without problems. Can someone from there confirm?

littleb

Yea, I see no need for 3 grand when I already have a finished head, and I'm only gonna be ~$1,500 for rods and pistons. Then I'm able to get most, if not all of the machine work done for free. I'm not trying to build an 800hp drag monster. I'm just trying to take advantage of what I have at my disposal and make a decently powered, reliable street motor that I can take to the track every now and again.

Last edited:

4thStroke

Yes, English did some testing with aluminum rods in a street car. I can't remember what the conclusion was, though.

alansupra94

I can tell you that aluminum parts will "mis-shape" over time. However, the extend will depend heavily on its environment. I had a friend with a old AMC Javelin (1972?) and ran aluminum rods. We found that the aluminum mis-shaped but was still usable clearance wise.

I plan on running aluminum rods in my built supra motor and I will be documenting what I have found.

GSX_TC

Sure would be nice if someone can track down the English guy for an update on how these aluminum rods are treatin him..

CutlassJim

Quoting littleb:
. I'm not trying to build an 800hp drag monster. I'm just trying to take advantage of what I have at my disposal and make a decently powered, reliable street motor that I can take to the track every now and again.

You are describing a bone stock motor perfectly.

thedsmguy

I'm always perplexed on how much guys will spend to make 400-450 hp. The stock block can handle this and if it breaks is a day of labor and a few hundred bucks to find another. And I believe you can run aluminum rods on a street car but you have to be more diligent on letting the car actually warm up etc, most problems that I know of occur on a cold block being boosted.

In conclusion, keep it stock, put some arp hardware and boost the sh*t out of it.

littleb

I was planning on making around 600. And when I already have hardware, a head and crank, why not spend the rest of my money where I can? I'd rather have a completely capable engine the first time I go through it than have to upgrade it when I want to make more power.. Is it wrong of me that I'm going to spend the money and o-ring my block, too?

Diego

Quoting alansupra94:
I can tell you that aluminum parts will "mis-shape" over time. However, the extend will depend heavily on its environment. I had a friend with a old AMC Javelin (1972?) and ran aluminum rods. We found that the aluminum mis-shaped but was still usable clearance wise.

I plan on running aluminum rods in my built supra motor and I will be documenting what I have found.

Old neighbor back in Iowa had same year Javelin, same setup... he rarely drives it because of this reason....

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts