The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

idle 4 k after manifold and throttle changed. (need help)

kooter

So I went and got this

[then did this to it(well really had someone else do it for me)

url=https://www.galantvr4.org/img.php?id=123724]
img.php
[/url]

started changing everything over last night and found that the fuel pressure regulator is different.
I think at least from what I can find as far as picture's of fpr online that it is off a 2g.

please correct me if I am wrong.

So if this is correct and it is a 2g. Is there any reason not to use the fuel rail and a new stock fpr.

got everything tightened up tonight. started the car and it races to 4k
currently on the car is the pictured manifold and throttle body. stock fuel rail. the one pictured would not fit correctly.

so am now taking suggestion's. before switching pack to stock throttle tomorrow to see if that corrects the problem.

guessing tps or fast idle valve.
allowed car to run a few different times when the car warmed it dropped to a little over 3 k.

Last edited:

Adorsey

No reason why you shouldnt. Ive had friends use automatic elantra fpr's(43.2 psi or something)

As long as that fuel rail and the throttle body came from the same engine, they should fit well.

Youre parts look great, I love the wrinkle black

kooter

intake manifold, throttle, and fuel rail came off same car as far as I know. Either I did not recieve the fpr back after having everthing powder coated or I lost the damn thing I don't remember. I ordered what looked to be correct aftermarket regulator that is listed as for a 2g.

off an elantra you say. I just so happen to work at a hyundai dealer in parts. I will look into this.

also got this on last night .

BPU925

who did your VC?....thats a damn good lookin color....wat color is it?

TylerAdamson

Looks like black to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

kooter

it is wrinkle black
done by justin at detectivecoating.com

kooter

why does it matter that the fuel rail and throttle come from same car?
like if I use the rail that was stock on my vr4 with the throttle body I got powder coated.

what would happen. they both look identical.

beaner

your fpr/rail is oem 2g. the 1g fpr is 37psi and the 2g fpr is 43.5psi. if your fuel pump isn't stock, keep in mind the 2g fpr gets overrun easier than the 1g. I've ran a 2g rail/fpr on my 1g before for a little more fuel, cheap trick for a mild setup.

kooter

so as far as I know my fuel pump is stock. if I use the 2g rail and fpr will I have any problems?
as far as I know fuel rail throttle and intake all came off the same car.

throttle and intake are identical to what was taken off the car. 1991 galant vr4. the fuel rail appear's identical except for fpr mounting. original is more pointed/elongated. new one is stubby rounded.

Adorsey

Quoting kooter:
why does it matter that the fuel rail and throttle come from same car?
like if I use the rail that was stock on my vr4 with the throttle body I got powder coated.

what would happen. they both look identical.

The tps will hit the fuel rail if your using a '91 tb, and a '90 fuel rail.

kooter

got everything tightened up tonight. started the car and it races to 4k
currently on the car is the pictured manifold and throttle body. stock fuel rail. the one pictured would not fit correctly.

so am now taking suggestion's. before switching pack to stock throttle tomorrow to see if that corrects the problem.

guessing tps or fast idle valve.
allowed car to run a few different times when the car warmed it dropped to a little over 3 k.

Diego

check and make sure the BISS didnt go somewhere south while you were having it painted....

kooter

since I have the time. and would like a break from the galant service manual valume 1.

before doing all this there were no idle issues.
what was done.
new coil pack
new ign transistor
new plug wires
new plugs
new egr valve & gasket
The above picture intake manifold and throttle body
new manifold and throttle body gasket's

all everything on the throttle body came on the throttle body.
all I can say about the parts is I was told they were 1g parts
The throttle body and intake manifold look identical to what I took off the gvr4. which to my knowledge was all stock.
The fuel rail is not that same as what is on the car. It appears to be a 2g rail.

So I used the original rail
new injector insulator's x 4
new injector o-rings x4
new injector insulator"s x3

The car sat over the weekend. Had to wait for the two gasket's that go on either side of the throttle body.
after everything was back together and the car started it raced to 4k pretty good amount of white smoke nothing insane but maybe a 30 seconds or so.
Car was turned off
Everything was looked over checked for connection and fit.
Started and again raced to 4k shut off
Stood around for a couple minutes staring pointing and grunting
Started car and adjusted

img.php

Doing so did not make any difference.

Turned the car off again.
pulled out the old service manual pushed the car into the shop and headed to washup and go home.

Planning to switch back to original throttle body tomorrow and see if that correct's the problem. then going from there.

On a side not and just if anyone wants to chime in
How long would you say it should take to remove and install the above intake manifold?

Adorsey

If the intake manifold is on the motor now, leave it on.

Search here and on vfaq.com for a "how to" on "Adjusting the BISS screw" (the screw circled in red) for your fast idle.

Check and make sure the FIAV is working properly. There is more write-up's on that too, both here and vfaq.com

Make sure there is no vacuum leaks, and the coolent hoses to the throttle body are connected.

*Turning the BISS screw in and out while the engine is running, wont do anything unless the ecu is in bypass mode.
Grounding out pin #10 under the dash, and grounding the ignition timing connector in the wire loom against the fire wall will put the ecu in bypass mode.
(Or whatever you would like to call it.)
Adjust the screw via RPM. Wait. Turn the engine off. Undo the grounds, start and let the engine idle for 3-5min.s until the idle ajdusts.
If it does not, continue down the list till your idle is resolved.

Check the slack on your throttle cable too.

Mine, the throttle would raise up by itself sometimes, like at a stop light, stop sign, etc. A friend of mine noticed the cable was too tight. I loosened the two bolts that hold the bracket to the intake mani and gave it some slack, it hasn't done it since.

kooter

ok just finished reading and re reading the vfaq on biss, isc and tps.
printed everything out
going to try as soon as I get the chance and see were I sit.

kooter

throttle cable is actually a little on the loose side

kooter

ok so work day is all done,
plan to check tps, isc, then biss according to vfaq.

question now is, I am supposed to check with car warmed up.
so do I let it blaze away at 4k till it is warmed up or what?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned