The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

soaking lash adjusters

vtecds1

How long can you soak them in diesel fuel? I wanted to do it tonight so that I can install them tomorrow. I`m expecting the lifter tool I ordered to arrive sometime tomorrow, but since I didn't get a tracking number, I have no clue if there's a delay. My problem is, that I don't know if it's a good idea to let them soak for 2 or more days. Any thoughts?

Id soak them in ATF instead honestly.. then bleed em out and put them in an oil bath till you instal them.

vtecds1

Picked up some 3G ITM's.

Adorsey

What is the gain to soaking the lifters before an install? I know you have to bleed them all out before you install them but diesel fuel? ATF?
Never heard anything about that.

vtecds1

From my understanding...letting them soak in diesel fuel cleans them out, especially the old ones. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, I just found out that the lifter tool will be in today...can't wait to get started working on this thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Boostdtalon

yeah soaking them in Kerosene or diesel fuel will help clean them out thats about it. You know you could just as easily use a paper clip to bleed them right? Thats what I used and it was flawless.

Adorsey

Quoting boostdtalon:
yeah soaking them in Kerosene or diesel fuel will help clean them out thats about it. You know you could just as easily use a paper clip to bleed them right? Thats what I used and it was flawless.

Good to know, I also used a paper clip to bleed mine and it worked great.

I also saw thses videos on the tube about changing and bleeding the lifters without taking the cams out, and without the special tool.
*I dont avise anyone to do it this way, nor do I think its safe to be done this way. But it did work well for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
click
click
They are long videos btw

Last edited:

vtecds1

Quoting boostdtalon:

I will soak it in diesel fuel, then use the paperclip so that I can compress the lash adjuster. There's a tech article about it on vfaq.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned