The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

overheating NEED HELP --how do i test a relay?

yeti

so I got the ggvr4 registered and realized I can't go for to long in the street with out over heating...

Reason being the fans won't turn on?!?!

I've checked. All fuses and there good, I replaced the relay with one from kragen and haven't driven it since.

How can I check if the relay is working properly.

check the fans. hardwire them if you have to to make sure they work. and if all the fuses are good make sure the senor on the water neck is plugged in or isnt broken.. if all is well then you know the relay is no good.

OMFGeofffff

Are you using stock fans? If the wiring on the resistors on the fan go bad it might not make them turn on at low speed. Then the fans will only work on high. That's at 225*F+. Make sure you fan switch in the bottom of the radiator is hooked up properly.

It's usually the radiator fan thermal switch installed in the lower tank of your radiator. Easy way to test the relay and fans is to simply turn on the AC, functioning or not. The interior blower fan has to be on for the AC switch to activate. When the light on the AC button is on, it should activate BOTH radiator fans (one is there specifically for the AC condensor), when the AC is on the fan switch is bypassed to provide maximum cooling to compensate for the extra load on the engine. If your fans come on, you need to replace the fan switch in your lower radiator tank.

yeti

Quoting OMFGeofffff:
Are you using stock fans? If the wiring on the resistors on the fan go bad it might not make them turn on at low speed. Then the fans will only work on high. That's at 225*F+. Make sure you fan switch in the bottom of the radiator is hooked up properly.

I'm over heating to the point where my radiator cap is buzzing and coolantsboiling in the overflow tank.

I'll try the ac trick in a few hours.

Also the wires to the thermostat sensor are broken off and not connected I think this started happening after those wires got ripped off.

14u2nV

WOuld you seriously either take your car to someone who knows what they are doing or sell it. All of your posts indicate you have no clue, or are you just a troll? Either way, every single day there is a new thread from you about something not working right. MY GUESS, they are all related to you trying to wire in things yourself that you have no clue about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

yeti

^ Gee thanks for the advice.

And all I've done other than the lc1 is repair it.
I do not have money to take it to the shop.

And the wires on the thermostat have been falling off since I bought the car.

And can anyone tell me if that's the coolant temp sensor.

Adorsey

So repair the wires /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif The coolent temp sensor is on the radiator but check down there too for any shady wires.

Last edited:

Hondakiller

I had the same problem so I ran a switch. From the turbo timer to the factory relay. Did you check the temp sensor on the thermostat housing?

OMFGeofffff

If there's any wiring issues to the sensors on the tstat housing those should be the first things you fix. I can't tell you which one is which but if you search there will be a thread to help you. Searching is a bitch on my phone but ill help you out. +thermostat +sensors -fs:

boostedinaz

Quoting 14u2nV:
WOuld you seriously either take your car to someone who knows what they are doing or sell it. All of your posts indicate you have no clue, or are you just a troll? Either way, every single day there is a new thread from you about something not working right. MY GUESS, they are all related to you trying to wire in things yourself that you have no clue about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Some people just need to be spoon fed. I feel a "Thermostat wires" thread in our near future.

yeti

Fixed fan today it was open wires from the fan not the thermostat.

But new issue.

It feels as if I have a giant boost leak everytime I hit the throttle the car just falls on its face and doesent do anything other than stall out there's no throttle responce.

I did get it to get me down the street enough to get off the road and do a BLT and I hold pressure fine!!!

Could it me mpi?

Tps sensor?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned