The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

tips for 1st engine build

yeti

I'm getting money together for my rebuild and was just wondring if anybody has any tips that have seem to have worked in the past.

boostedinaz

Bag and tag everything and take pics. Pics are also nice to document the build.

Also make sure to clean and paint everything. For an extra 15 bucks you can grab some balck paint and paint the brackets, motor mounts, etc..

I'm sure there are many other list out there.

Tre3zy

it all depends on how much is your budget as well...

yeti

My budget is 1000 if possible id like to stay under. But I'm expecting to go over.

What's the deal with using used parts, what are some I should use and others I should never attempt to try and reuse

DR1665

Used parts present a compromise, in that their service life is inherently limited from time you get them, but a solid used part, properly prepared, installed, and maintained, should not be anything to worry about. Remember, these engines are known to put excess of 400hp to the ground on stock internals. They'll probably get you home on two cylinders and one forward gear if push comes to shove. It all depends on the condition and location of the used part(s).

What used parts are you considering?

alansupra94

I rebuilt my 4G63 for $400. True story. That included a block, crank, 2G pistons w/ 1G rods, water pump and new gasket set for $250. And $150 covered the new NPR 2G piston rings and ACL race bearings from ebay. I reused my oil pump that I already did a BSR on and reused a recently rebuilt head I had from the blown block.

It really isn't complicated to do. Just make sure you write down and clearance everything to specifications.

NYC86ZC

Quoting DR1665:
They'll probably get you home on two cylinders

Troof. 761 had zero compression in 2 cylinders due to a bad HG. Yet I was still able to get it up on a tow dolly. Granted it sounded like a helicopter when given a little gas.

yeti

Quoting talon:
Is this your first engine rebuild?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

And I was thinking of using probably the rods from my current block maybe the head and valves if their not to damaged.
Pistons if they didn't get smacked up.

A better question is what should I NOT USE USED PARTS on.

Like what's the most abused part of the engine that I should spend extra cash on.

And basically for all used parts you just have to measure it and compare to factory specs?

mpt72

IMO get new main and rod bearings, and well as a thrust bearing. It's simple peace of mind when considering the bottom end. Gaskets as well should be replaced. Remember, it's the little things that can really mess everything up.

Lonewolf64

OE replacement parts are pretty cheap on Rockauto...I personally wouldn't reuse the pistons or rods because sometimes a visual inspection will not catch a part that should not be used, especially if this is your first time rebuilding an engine.

yeti

Good to know thanks

Anywhere I could send pistons and rods to be reconditioned?
If not I'll just search for a good deal on a set.

I'm getting a longblock for 200$ so not a bad start.

AnotherNewb

If your planning on using another block then new oversized pistons and having the block bored is a must. Any competent machine shop should be able to inspect and disassemble your pistons/rods. And... since your replacing your pistons get the 2g pistons for a bump in compression. The only thing you have to do is have your machine shop open up the small end of the rods to 55mm.

Use a quality mls head gasket and new head studs, don't reuse your old head bolts.

GSX_TC

If your building the motor for any thing just be sure to use all ARP hardware (rod bolts, main,and head studs) And do yourself the favor of eliminating the balance shafts for relief of future headaches. And use good bearings like ACL or king. Don't use Clevites, they aren't good anymore due to a cheap manufacturer now. And while your at it, get the poly eurethane motor mount inserts. That's a pretty good foundation to start on rite there and not very expensive at all.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts