The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

91 Galant VR-4 "Slutty Paula"

I had a little impulse buy the other day and picked up this 1991 Galant VR-4. The kid that sold me the car told me it's name was Paula because that's the name of the hot mom he bought it from. I decided that "Slutty Paula" was more fitting since just about everybody and their mom has owned this car in the Fargo area.
It's number 708/2000

Like I said, the car has been around the block once or twice, so I'm not 100% sure what's all done to it, but I do know the following:
-New o2 sensors
-New timing belt
-New valves
-16g
-full exhaust

IMAG0004.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

Like all dsms, there's a few things that need attention. First thing I noticed was the oil pooling in the vc well area. I took the vc off thinking that the gaskets just needed to be replaced and found a big crack /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I plan on tig welding it up tonight, shaving the vc, and powdercoating it.

IMAG0015.jpg

Future plans:
-Research and fill my head with knowledge
-Throw it on a dyno to get a baseline

I used to own a 98 gsx, so it feels good to get back to my dsm roots /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Brian

jogalant

Welcome and good luck! Looks like you've got your work cut out for you. No offense but the Galant looks like it's been through hell and back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

I hope it has found a better home and owner in you.

Paula has definitely lived life. Great user name, Brian. Hi, I'm Mike.

Start with the basics, replace vacuum lines, change fluids, change fuel filter and then go from there. Pick up a pocketlogger at the least so you can monitor parameters. Good luck.

Quoting jogalant:
Welcome and good luck! Looks like you've got your work cut out for you. No offense but the Galant looks like it's been through hell and back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Thanks and no offense taken! I see all the same dents and sadness that you do. The good news is that she runs like a boss.

Quoting 3of1000:
Paula has definitely lived life. Great user name, Brian. Hi, I'm Mike.

Start with the basics, replace vacuum lines, change fluids, change fuel filter and then go from there. Pick up a pocketlogger at the least so you can monitor parameters. Good luck.

Haha thanks Mike. I try to gap the barrier between introwebs and real life, so feel free to call me Brian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The kid I bought it from told me he just had all the fluids replaced from his buddy that works at a dealership here in town, and he had receipts to show for it which was nice. The fluid on the tranny dipstick and in the crankcase looked clean when I checked. I've also got a scangauge II that I have mounted in my 98 impreza 2.5rs that I'll swap between cars for the sole purpose of making sure temps and whatnot are where they should be. I ran dsmlink on my old dsm, but depending on where I go with this car, I might just stick with an safc or somethin.

Quoting turbowop:
hsnono.gif

...And oh yea...I hear you guys don't like VR-4's being called dsms right? haha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.
-Brian

Last edited by a moderator:

turbowop

I actually don't care if you call it a DSM, but others will get on you about it. Figured I'd throw up that smiley as a warning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DR1665

Welcome. Everyone who isn't a FNG and said it's okay to call a GVR4 a DSM has been sacked. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Looks like the car has had a rough life. Slutty Paula rides dirty. Fun times.

Welcome to the fray.

bmxkid415

They say Summit White is the fastest, Just not the fastest at breaking I see.

Welcome to the site!

raptorWagon

We don't like it, because of the simple fact that they weren't built in Normal, Illinois like DSMs were, they were all imported from Japan.
Misinformation is Fail.

524of1000

Those in charge of sacking those who claim it's ok to call a VR4 a DSM have been sacked. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4wheelsqueal

Only thing we're missing is the moose's! Oh and welcome to the board!

Quoting DR1665:
Welcome. Everyone who isn't a FNG and said it's okay to call a GVR4 a DSM has been sacked. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Looks like the car has had a rough life. Slutty Paula rides dirty. Fun times.

Welcome to the fray.

a) what's a FNG?
b) I'm sure she's been beat up pretty good in her day
c) mmm she rides so dirty, but I'm pretty sure she likes it haha

Quoting bmxkid415:
They say Summit White is the fastest, Just not the fastest at breaking I see.

Welcome to the site!

Thanks for the welcome, and heck no...Slutty Paula is holding on to dear life as best she can! I'm going to start looking for a replacement radiator support so I can straighten everything out. Just gotta do some research as to what years are compatible.

Quoting raptorreed:
We don't like it, because of the simple fact that they weren't built in Normal, Illinois like DSMs were, they were all imported from Japan.
Misinformation is Fail.

Do you happen to have any good links as far as history of the vr-4 is concerned? I always thought since they came with the same 4g63 as the eclipse/talons that they were considered dsms. The way I understood it was that dsm = Diamond Star Motors, and Diamond Star Motors was the company that designed the 4g63. I'd really like to read/learn the difference with the Galants vs Eclipse/Talons.

Quoting 524of1000:
Those in charge of sacking those who claim it's ok to call a VR4 a DSM have been sacked. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well I don't want to be sacked so I'll keep that in mind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quoting 4wheelsqueal:
Only thing we're missing is the moose's! Oh and welcome to the board!

Not gonna lie...I'm not really sure what that means

fuel

haha @ DSM being responsible for the 4G63.. never mind the fact that the 4G63 has been around since 1980.. and that the same DOHC Turbo variant made its debut in the JDM E39A Galant VR-4 in 1987, before DSMs were even around.

alansupra94

^^^^^^^^^

Welcome! Looks like you will have your hands full cleaning that up! I know what thats like. A year later and my car and practically transformed!

Quoting raptorreed:
FNG = f***ing New Guy

As per your request and to clear up your complete misunderstanding of what DSM means. A quick breakdown of DSM, Diamond = Mitsubishi, Star = Chrysler, DSM = Joint venture between the two companies.

DSM
DSM

GVR4
Galant History
Brief VR4 Motorsports History

Thank you very much good sir! Those were all pretty informative reads and I feel like a little less of a "FNG" after reading them haha.

Also, I'd like to find a different front radiator support since mine is all sorts of messed up. The only compatible years are the 91-93 Galants right?

Lastly, (for now) I've noticed that the rpms seem to fluctuate up and down quite a bit at idle. I'm going to clean out the MAF and test that along with the TPS. Anybody else have an idea of what else could be causing this issue?

vtecds1

isc

fuel

common fault, usually the idle stepper servo motor at fault with a shorted or open circuit coil inside.

I would check out www.vfaq.com for all the frequently answered questions and solutions to most common faults.

I'll start with testing my ISC and go from there. It's been a while since I've used VFAQ, but it's found it's way back to my bookmarks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Idle Speed Control (ISC) testing

DR1665

Quoting HiImBrian:

Also, I'd like to find a different front radiator support since mine is all sorts of messed up. The only compatible years are the 91-93 Galants right?

Correct, though you also want to *really* keep your eyes peeled for an AWD model (meaning one of the less than something like 5000 GSX/VR4 models). Take a look at how that front crossmember (the one with the front motor mount on it) bolts up on either side of the car. Those bits are different on the more common FWD models. You could still use the FWD core support, but you might have to fab up something like this.

IMG00172-20100328-1419-500x375.jpg

More info: click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts