The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

dreamer

kron_jdd

hi guys. i have a 1991 eagle 2000 gtx awd. i want to replace the tranny. it feels very bad when driving and 1st and 2nd gears are giving me problems. i have looked around alittle and saw the going price for tranny are under or around $600. i have flirted with the idea of pulling everything and put a cyclone turbo engine in. i was then planning o replace the hurt tranny and i want a LSD rear diff. is there any web site/place that u guys are awear of that can give a good deal on replacing everything under the hood. engine, tranny, tcase, turbo, wiring harness, ecu, etc, u kno the works. i have seem the going price for about $1400 - 2700. i looking to spend $2000. dont have the cash yet just shopping. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Buy a whole car, or talk to a lot of 1G Talon/Eclipse owners in your area.
Club DSM Canada comes to mind. Ziggy from RTM Racing, or any of the transmission shops like Jacks, TRE, etc can get trans bit for you.
Tons of stuff for sale here.

Last edited:

AnotherNewb

%2789-%2792_Eagle_2000GTX.JPG

At first I was like, wrong forum, then a quick google search, then was like, wow, looks just like a galant, so I guess he's not lost...

Research galant GSX-VR4 clones/swaps and you should get all the info you need. Try the search button at the top.

kron_jdd

yep that my car in that pi. just no front badge, sun roof and diff rims. i think i kno the parts that would have to be replaced and change, just want to kno real if anyone kno of a goal suppler of full under hood swap packages. a limited slip diff i can fine later. dose anyone kno the web site that have all the galant models and their gear raito's. i had it once put had to wipe my computer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif. thanks for the help. anyone with some good ideas feel free to post.

1990ggsxnj

Yes that is just like the Galant GSX - is your spoiler soft and squishy as well? Good looking gal. Are those the stock rims, because they look similar to one type of stock VR4 rims.

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting 1990ggsxnj:
Yes that is just like the Galant GSX - is your spoiler soft and squishy as well? Good looking gal. Are those the stock rims, because they look similar to one type of stock VR4 rims.

it is the Canadian, eagle variant of the GGSX. Your n00bness is showing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

IncorpoRatedX

to the original poster: this is my Galant GSX converted to turbo via a 1990 JDM GVR4 engine harness/engine and DSM trans/rear diff
the conversion to VR4 is really easy in my opinion.

58472_10150253511415508_513365507_14857439_5935546_n.jpg

and here's my old one with info:
click
100_4495.jpg

kron_jdd

so the eagle 2000 gtx is the clone of a galant GGSX or GSX. they are nice cars, fell in love with how the car handles and drives (mines not turbo so not as fast /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif). the car is all wheel drive with a four bolt rear diff. i dont think it is a limited slip diff tho. there is no all wheel steering for the car, nor was an option for the eagles. so dose the cyclone turbo engine/tranny combow use a different gear raito then a four bolt diff and if so would i have to get a new drive shaft to go with the new diff? i did want to replace the rear diff anyway. do they make a four bolt limited slip diff thats a matchs the tranny. i am a nood, i have not had the car apart to check all the gear raitos nor do i kno them. still open for info on suppliers of full packages or user manual sites for the galant. dont have much as i wiped my computer. thanks guys for all your help. i kinda an out side /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting alansupra94:
You happen to have the rear end to your GGSX?

Thanks,
Alan

no

AnotherNewb

there is a stickey at the top of the Newbie Forum that has all the manuals you could ever need. For a supplier, RRE has a list of trusted JDM engine suppliers. Honestly, you are better off buying a whole 89-92.5 Eclipse/Talon/Laser (or equivalent in Canada, Eh) for all of your drivetrain swap parts, most of its interchangable. The wireing harness and ECU is relativly easy to aquire, just watch the For Sale section here, people are always parting one out.

1990ggsxnj

Quoting Alpha Male:
Quoting 1990ggsxnj:

it is the Canadian, eagle variant of the GGSX. Your n00bness is showing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Variant, yes - I was trying to see how close it came. I've never seen one in person.

kron_jdd

i bet eagle just bought the galant GSX and rebadge it eagle. guess it is that close.
i have found a parts shop in calgary that can sell engine tranny/case ecu and harness. maybe can get the diff from them as well. also i see alot of you guy using GM maf sensor in the intake pip. what dose it take to get the ecu to read that or is not an OEM ecu. i still wondering if any know the site that had all the galant models with their gear ratios or kno what the ratios are?

kron_jdd

You happen to have the rear end to your GGSX?

Thanks,
Alan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
yes the stock rear end is still in the car. it is a four bolt rear end dont think it is an lsd diff tho as to y i want to replace it with one. the car still moves, just there is, like a binding feeling in the drive line and when i lift off the gas, u feel resistence in noise out of the tranny.
img.php

this is the gear oil that came out of it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif no good

AnotherNewb

the gm mass air flow sensor is a simple mod that a lot of people do to allow them to vent their bov to air. There are a couple ways to do it. One is using a maf translator which is just a simple box that connects between the factory maf sensor and the gm maf. The other ways is using ecmlink V3 and their adapter cable.

IncorpoRatedX

That's not the reason people use the GM MAF

it's a much larger, more free flowing, more accurate air meter.

it allows you to run the sensor in the intercooler pipe and allows you to use a much more free flowing intake.

I suppose that might be the reason n00bs and ricers use it though.

kron_jdd

it's a much larger, more free flowing, more accurate air meter.

it allows you to run the sensor in the intercooler pipe and allows you to use a much more free flowing intake.

that is what i thought but was not sure, also was not sure how easy it was to install. another question. me being on the hunt for a engine and just about everything else for the driveline. would i be ok to use the stock tubro ecu or should i just get a upgraded set up all together. one day would like about 300hp maybe more

AnotherNewb

Quoting Alpha Male:
That's not the reason people use the GM MAF

I suppose that might be the reason n00bs and ricers use it though.

J
I just answered according to title and previous post by the op. Besides, how many "Can I vta?" threads have been answered with "Only if you use a gm maf!" Sure a gm maf flows better, but the topic of discussion is how to clone a vr4 from an eagle 2000. So worrying about a better air meter is a lot like putting the cart before the horse.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts