The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What did i get? VR4 or GSX?

I received what was listed as VR4 #594 on a trade plus cash deal. I didn't bother running the vin for a few reasons. I didn't really care if the car had been previously damaged, and i was receiving way more in value than what my Evo was worth, even if this car is not a VR4. Yesterday i putinsurance on the car so that i could drive it to my friends to pull the motor and start the build. The insurance company told me the vin came back as a GSX, but the car has a #594 tag on the dash, VR4 badge on tails, and other vr4 characteristics. Since i am completely new to the VR4 scene could someone clarify a few things for me? What is the difference between the two? and if my car has the vr4 tag on the dash does that just mean that someone just put it there? Thanks to anyone who leaves me solid input, and sorry for the ignorant post, Daryl.

524of1000

The GSX was a N/A AWD galant that may have been converted to a "VR4" by dropping in the engine, drivetrain, and for finishing touches, the dash badge and tails/trunk badges. Or perhaps the p/o swapped the dash with a GSX so the VIN is different. Or perhaps the insurance person was off on the VIN... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

mitsuturbo

some insurance companies do not recognize the VR4. Instead, they just list the GSX, and all the AWD galants fall under this category.

1990ggsxnj

I speak from experience - Geico listed my VR4 as a GSX until one day when I had to add another car. They asked me what I thought the retail value of the car was when it came out. When I received my new cards the GSX was replaced by VR4.

JSchleim18

+1...Geico insured my car as a Galant GS-X. I believe the chassis codes are different between the two (E39A for GVR-4).

Struc

Post the VIN#, and we'll tell you what you've got.

maroonmetallic

If you can find the VIN on the chassis someplace, that will probably be a safer bet.

Thanks for the input guys. The vin from the dash matched the vin on the doors
VIN # JA3CX56U6NZ015877

Last edited by a moderator:

IncorpoRatedX

carfax says:

VIN: JA3CX56U6NZ015877
Vehicle: 1992 MITSUBISHI GALANT VR-4
Records: 19 records found in the CARFAX Vehicle History database

go run the fax yo

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting JSchleim18:
+1...Geico insured my car as a Galant GS-X. I believe the chassis codes are different between the two (E39A for GVR-4).

gsx = E38A
VR4 = E39A

fuel

^^ just to be pedantic

E38A = 2.0L engine with 4WD but no 4WS (ie VR-4 RS, Galant GSX)
E39A = 2.0L engine with 4WD and 4WS (ie VR-4, JDM N/A Galant MX-4/VX-4)

Thanks you everyone who left me info. I am slowly learning about these things, and im a little relieved after reading this stuff.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Don't confuse us 'muricans wit dem esoteric models we never got here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting DarylNilsen:
Thanks for the input guys. The vin from the dash matched the vin on the doors
VIN # JA3CX56U6NZ015877

Definitely a VR4 VIN.

mitsuturbo

+1

A VR4 VIN is easily recognizable, once you've owned a few, and having owned a few GGSX doesn't hurt either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Geico has my car listed as a GSX as well. It looks like whoever entered it originally clicked the wrong code /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Bringing this post back from the dead. what are these "dead giveaways" for the vin. i just ran my, and it said it was a GGSX as well.

LIV4PSI

I would just check the chassis code on the firewall if you truly think it may be a GSX

donkeylips

Like was stated above the E38A/E39A gives it away for us in the US.

VR4 is JA3CX56UxNZ
GSX is JA3CX56RxLZ

I haven't used ASA but I know that CAPS will tell you the answer to this type of question.

Also, color is another giveaway. Unless it's white. And maybe black (are there black GGSXs? I'm still unclear on exactly what colors were available).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned