The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

PLX WB Issue, no EGR input connector?

WaRrIoRs16

I tried to hook up my new PLX M300 wideband a few hours ago, but for some reason I was not able to get the device to turn on. I connected the power source to the accessory input for my stereo and grounded the black wire. I tested the accessory input with a multimeter and saw 11.x volts upon turning the ignition.

Also, the harness for my ECU does not appear to have an EGR input connector on it. It just has a space with no wire in the plastic clip. The picture is poor because it was dark, but you can see there is nothing there. Is this normal? If so, is there a way to still use that input? Thanks

turbowop

EGR input can be used. You need to find another wire harness and steal a little pigtail wire to stick in there. It is normally empty as you see. In fact, I think I had to get one from Barnes back when I needed it. He may still have an extra harness laying around that you can nab a single pin/pigtail from. It's been so long I don't even remember what I'm using the EGR input for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

WaRrIoRs16

Oh sweet, that will work perfectly. My buddy has two 1g turbo parts cars at his place in Prosser, so I can grab them on my way through to Yaki-Vegas. Thanks Mark. Now I just need to know whats going on with the WB.

CSMShaun

Are you going to be using the wide band sensor and a factory narrow band simulatneously? If you are using ECMLink you can always forgoe the narrow band sensor altogether and simulate the narrow band signal from the wideband. All you need to know is the switch point of the wide band; which PLX provides in the set-up literature if I am not mistaken.

WaRrIoRs16

No I'm not going to use the narrowband simulation. I just replaced my o2 sensor so I'm going to continue to use it. I have spoken with PLX Devices and I am sending the unit back to be checked out by their technicians.

WaRrIoRs16

Yes

CSMShaun

Then you should definitely be using the simulated front O2 sensor signal. It simulates the signal based on the wideband crossing the switch point so it behaves just like a narrowband O2 sensor. There is no "fake" signal, it is just a modified interpretation of what the wideband sensor is reading. It frees up an input into your ecu and you could simply place the wideband in the O2 housing that you are using rather than having to weld in a bung down-stream. You could always take that brand-new narrowband you just purchased and place it on the shelf or sell it.

WaRrIoRs16

Well I already had the bung in my downpipe and both sensors are currently installed. It simulating the O2 sensor from the wideband more accurate than just using the stock O2 sensor? How does this free up an input? I see two outputs from the wideband, one being the wideband and the other being the narrow band. Wouldn't I need to assign each thier own pin on the ecu?

CSMShaun

You could assign the input from the narrowband to some other non-OE sensor. The NBO2 simulation is neither more or less accurate than an actual narrowband sensor. This is because the ECU interprets the signal from the narrowband sensor as a "swinging" signal as the AFR crosses from lean to rich or stays in the lean or rich voltage region; just like it would as the wideband would cross the switch voltage or hold at a certain voltage. So neither is better than the other, but if you are in need of, or simply want, another input for the ECU to read and log then you could eliminate the narrowband sensor and have that input spot available.

WaRrIoRs16

Okay I think its coming together in the old noggin. Your saying that I can get the wideband output from the PLX wideband output pin and just connect it to one input on the ecu and have link read the wideband signal and simulate the narrowband from that same input, essentially freeing up the factory input of the OE narrowband input. I was under the impression that the narrowband output pin from the PLX device was required to simulate the narrbowband. That makes sense to me now though. So if someone wanted to replace there OE sensory and just use the one sensor that was included with the wideband kit for both the wideband and narrowband and they did not have an option to simulate, then they would have to utilize the narrowband output pin on the plx device as well as the wideband output pin.

As you can see I have not looked much into how the narrowband simulation works. I wonder if the front O2 input accepts the wideband signal better than the EGR temp input does. I read that the EGR can have trouble with some of the lower readings without a buffer in place.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned