The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I was told my turbo is not spooling?

kooter

So #418 just got checked out by a long time mitsu tech. Got a good review couple little things, leaky v/c gasket, steering rack leaking. needs shocks and struts, nothing big in any case. So the mechanic drives the car around from the shop to the service drive and tell's me my turbo is not spooling.
Did not have the time to get involved in figuring out the problem.

one of the service guy's asked if I hear the blow off valve. to which I have never heard it.

this is my first turbo vehicle. I know nothing about turbo's and would like to ask for the general opinoin.
the mechanic said it is most likely a leak before the turbo. I do understand that the turbo is driven by exhaust.

I can only sa is that the car is still pretty damn quick for a 4 cyclender.

Ideas?

was told it is probably a leak before the turbo.

Last edited:

steve

If it feels "quick for a 4cyl" then the turbo is making boost (spooling). If not, the car would be a real turd with the low stock compression and no boost.

You can pull the intake tube off the turbo inlet, with the car off and spin the turbo with your fingers. Also get a boost gauge. Also, take your car to someone else. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif Especially if they told you that your steering rack needs shocks and struts.

Last edited by a moderator:

kooter

sorry for not being more clear.
the steering rack is leaking, the car also needs shocks and struts.
I have total faith in the mechanic he worked for mitsu for a long time and has lots of experience with the gvr4.

Barnes

On a stock setup, you probably won't ever hear your blow off valve. Besides, whether or not you hear your BOV or not is a poor judge of how your car is boosting.

Best bet is to buy a real boost gauge. Then we will know if your faith in this mechanic is worth anything.

kooter

that was a statement made by one of the service writers. I didn't think the stock setup made much if any noise.

kooter

well I am very interested to see. and first thing I have lined up is suspension and tires and then we shall be diving into the mystery
next time on As the turbine spins

raptorWagon

I'd get that steering leak fixed as soon as possible, especially if the car still has a functional four wheel steering system.

Boost gauge first off, steering rack leaking is a good place to start next. VC gaskets are affordable from Rockauto. Then suspension items.

Last edited by a moderator:

kooter

rear steering is fine everything is dry and tight, front rack has a mild leak. So far I have tires, shocks and struts, steering rack(front), valve cover gasket and spark plug circles and half moon all ordered. should have everything within a week. also still looking for a cold air intake. my mechanic suggested that the added intake helps improve performance over the bending not so well design stock air intake. Once I get all the parts the fun will begin.

boostedinaz

A few things.

The steering system is a single system. The leak at the front rack and drain fluid from the entire system so it still needs to checked out but it appears you have that covered.

For the VC gasket I hope you got the EVO aluminum halfmoon. The stock replacment rubber one tends to shrink and leak oil over time.

As for adding a cold air intake I must say I am losing faith in you mechanic already. You guys haven't even addressed the turbo supposedly not boosting and he has saying to throw mods at it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

kooter

the cold air intake was suggested before he drove the car. He said that it helps the car breath better and would offer a minor improvement in responce. any lack of faith should be directed toward me as I haven't a clue what I have gotten myself into. I had no idea the two steering systems were connected. and should have everything but the boost issue done by next week.
thank you for the info always a pleasure to learn something new.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I'm with boosted on the cold air intake suggestion. That type of mod doesn't make nearly as much difference on a turbo as is does on an NA motor.

Get everything working right, Learn first, and don't waste your money.

KiNgMaRtY

As mentioned, pick up a boost gauge. It's a very quick install. Keep and eye on the PS fluid in the meantime so it does not go dry. You don't want the rear rack to go dry and have to replace that too. Not an easy find
Also, I hope you did order 4ws specific steering rack as they do differ.

kooter

yes did order a 4ws rack.

ok so I can skip the air intake then.

could I ask for some suggestions for the boost guage.

what brand/model should I get. I have seen them as cheap as 25 dollars and as much as 150.

I wouldn't cheap out to much on it. Really it boils down to personal prefference on the gauges.

Dark_Horse

A 'mechanic' saying your turbo is not spooling because you have a leak somewhere? He's an idiot! You'd have to have the biggest exhaust leak known to man to keep your turbo from spooling. Even if you had a gigantic leak between the compressor and the intake manifold, the turbo would still spool. And since you said that your car is fast, the turbo is most definitely making boost. If it wasn't, it would be dog turd slow.

And for him to suggest a cold air intake just confirms that he doesn't know sh*t. Me thinks that the 'mechanic' has been watching too much Fast & Furious...

Autometer/Marshal/AEM ect ect. Really depends on what your looking to spend. If your going to use it everyday. I personally never had a problem with Autometer or Marshall.

KiNgMaRtY

Autometers are $40+ and and are accurate. They get more expensive depending on how flashy you want it

kooter

thank's to everyone for the suggestions and the help it is much appreciated. It is good to know I have something to do while I wait for parts. and somewere to go for information and idea's.

AnotherNewb

Um... I'm sure when a "cold air intake" is being mentioned they are talking about anything better than the stock snorkle tube. Its a very common mistake to call all intakes that are not stock cold air intakes. Kinda like calling adhesive bandages Band Aids, or the flywheel engagment gear a Bendix.

Yes, a tubular turbo inlet pipe will improve performance, noticably.
You can't count on the knight rider lights in the gauge cluster to give you a real boost reading.
Wiping your boogers on someones door knob is not acceptable.
If there was a leak big enough to stop your turbo from spooling, it wouldn't be a probably.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts