The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

any one ever add an external Oil cooler?

Look at machv.com as they sell a nice kit that I used on a 92 TSi. Much easier than sourcing individual parts.

talontyme

greddy makes a external oil cooler housing that is t-stat controlled it is a sweet piece i guy i know from philly was using one on his car and i liked it so i bought the same setup.

yeti

the ones on mach v are like 500$ and the Greddy is 900$
click
anyone think its a good deal, also is a transmission cooler just as helpful

Terry Posten

use better fittings and clamps than i used here. i had to replace them all with real pushlock stuff to match the hose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trendsetter,
Is that just using an oil filter relocation kit? Or how did you do that?

the remote filter adapter is trans-dapt part number TRD-1058
I used all -8an aeroquip pushlock hose
A chevrolet style (13/16 thread) remote filter mount, along with an older 1/2" oil cooler I had around.
I put chevy filter mounts like that on all of my modified cars. It opens the doors to lots of much better filter options. I use WIX 51060 filters which have significantly more filtering capacity, along with adding almost a full quart of oil capacity to the stock system, plus whatever the lines and cooler hold. more oil capacity is always a good thing.

524of1000

Broxma has a whole kit for sale. Look up his thread thru searching his name.

Did you just use 1/2 npt to 1/2" barb connectors then? And do you happen to have a part number for the chevy filter mount? Or at least know where you got it from?

oil filter mount
you can also choose one that is 3/4-16 thread, which will use a ford style filter. I started my car life in chevys, so thats what Ive always used. Plus it allows me to keep a bunch of WIX 51060 filters on hand to use in both my big block truck and my other hot rods instead of having to keep a bunch of different filters around.

for hose and fittings, I use this stuff: hose

and use these fittings: fittings

it is extremely high quality. If you decide to use that hose, DO NOT USE NORMAL BARB FITTINGS. I learned this the hard way. Even with hose clamps i pushed lines off the barbs while driving around. You absolutely must use the fittings designed for the hose and do not use hose clamps on it. When assembled correctly, you will have to cut the hose to get the fittings off.

Those pictures above are from my old galant. I just got another one and will be putting most of that stuff on it today. Ill try to take pictures of how it ends up and ill post them up here. I will be doing it a little bit different this time, with better fittings.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned