The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ECU QUESTIONS----PICTURES

yeti

1. THIS is normal eprom right not socket ?

2. THIS is damaged ? it looks dirty and like something leaking middle right?

3. this is not stock location for ecu right

4. the wires from the back of ecu ,looked hacked up RIGHT?
img.php

5. diagnostics connector right next to fuse box under dash , looks broken (missing pins)

6. battery at 14v when car is running

7. another pic of possibly damaged ECU

CutlassJim

Non socketed Eprom - yes.
Damaged board - yes.
Stock location - yes.
Hacked wiring - yes.
OBD port looks fine, it doesnt use all the pin slots.
14 volts while car is running is good. Range is usually 13.6-14.4

yeti

could hacked wiring point to it had some kind tuning equipment and PO stripped it of everything and it lost tune

SHOULD i take ecu out and send it out could that be causing the car to RUN LIKE sh*t

AND THAT BOARD ISNT DESTROYED BEYOND REPAIR RIGHT

AND STOCK GVR4 ECU IS UNDER PASSENGER CARPET?
and thank you for the info

Last edited:

fuel

stock ECU is bolted to the A pillar to the right of the glovebox.

It looks like that capacitor has been replaced before, perhaps the leaking fluid on the board wasn't enough to damage the ECU, however it could indeed be a damaged ECU. I would try another ECU to eliminate the possibility of being an ECU.

Terry Posten

The ECU needs to be cleaned really well to get all the old acid off it. Otherwise. it will continue to eat the board.

Send it to me and I will socket and clean it. Also will replace any bad caps if needed.

It will be about $50 for everything including return shipping insured for $300.00

The ECU slides up into a slot beside the glove box. The two black rubber feet go up into holders and the two bolt holes line up with a stud and bolt hole and are fastened with 12mm nut and bolt.

The rest of the answers are completely correct.

Good running voltage, proper diagnostic plug, hacked wiring but as long as it was put back together properly, it should run as stock.

With a socket, you can get a chip to allow you to run bigger injectors, better MAS, remove fuel cut, etc...

yeti

i was typing you a pm a few days ago after reading CAPS STICKY but deleted it cause i was gonna send it later

will be sending it to you along with requirements next month

Struc

Manual Transmission, 1991-1992 ECU would be best. Since it appears that ECU hasn't been socketed, you could get away with a cheaper non-EPROM model. You see them around for $~50.00

yeti

would one from a 98 manual transmission (black plastic kind) not work
otherwise i gotta run to JUNK YARD and find 1 for 91-92

Struc

NO, it won't. There are major differences betwen 1G and 2G ECU's.

Terry Posten

Quoting decathect:
that ECU looks pretty damaged.

Yes, it looks bad and needs to be cleaned as soon as possible if it is to be salvaged. As always, no garrentee but I will try.

yeti

if this ones too far gone when you physically see it, how much does a 91-92 manual trans. EPROM ECU COST?(
And what will an ECU W/out EPROM DO when installed?

Terry Posten

A good eprom ECU will run you about $250 give or take $50 but make sure it is already cleaned and capped.

A non-eprom ECU will do exactly the same thing as an eprom ECU except you can't easily swap in a new chip to change the parameters of things like injector size, larger MAS, knock gauge feature, AC cutout, improved highway mileage, etc...

yeti

good to know, thanks.
I will only be after another EPROM ECU if you determine mine is no good.

Last edited:

desant78

Good Luck with the ECU...I am new to the VR4 game but not circuits...family business is TV repair shop and we do all in house trouble shooting of boards so I've seen PLENTY of caps go.

The board will be fine...but the cost to repair the parts is what might get you. There seems to be a lot of damage over a widespread area...which I don't believe that cap on there could have done. Maybe an originally failed horribly, which is when they tend to explode (not violently but acid does get a little more spread out or with time) I would investigate to see if other components went, or where else on the board there is damage. I'm sure whoever is willing to fix it will know once seeing it real fast.

I noticed a few smaller transistors that look like they are in pretty bad shape..maybe a good cleaning will fix any shorts.

Both ways good luck!

Last edited:

stevep

That's pretty significant corrosion damage from the original capacitors leaking. The board needs to be stripped down, cleaned to bare copper everywhere it's corroded before replacing the damaged SMD parts and new capacitors for the power supply.
That could easily take the good part of a day to do well. I've fixed worse when I was repairing ECUs so this one should be repairable and work good as new after but it's going to need quite a bit of attention.

The wiring harness looks like the OP might have had a SAFC installed before. The vampire taps should be removed and the wires inspected/spliced if they are damaged.

Diego

The hacked wire on your ECU cables could be from someone that wanted to harness into the ecu with their tuner like (SAFC,SAFCII,AFC...etcetc)

Replace your ecu or its toast... if it turned over your lucky, that's a good amount of acid on that board.

yeti

CAN THE ECU be from non turbo DSM?
(just to pass smog this morning.....or fail)
im just gonna swap out real quik

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts