The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Newbie needs Christmas miracle for new Vr4

desant78

It’s obvious from this section that I am a newbie, and probably way in over my head with this car. Saying that, I’m going to put how many hours it takes to finally get this car driving on the road. The last year I’ve been trying buy one within a tight budget, and a few weeks ago I finally purchased this car. I knew this car needed work….and it seems to be going well.

When I test drove the car…the front calipers where not mounted due to the rims that don’t fit. Also in the middle of the street the bumper fell off. Lastly, the intercooler was held in by one machine screw. The piping was held together with exhaust clamps…and if anyone barely touched the front mount all the piping moved due to how insecure it was. Car also runs very rich.

I have been on the forum numerous times reading threads and looking for cars for sale.. but now I am officially part of the forum. For the rehabilitation of this car I could definitely use the wisdom from the members on the forum.

Enough with the introduction, here is the car I got myself into.

Mods
Small Evo III 16g
Evo III exhaust manifold (can anyone verify this?)
650cc FIC injectors
AEM Fuel Rail
2g intake manifold (can anyone verify this?)
HKS throttle body
2g Short Throw Shifter
Battery Routed to rear

GM MAF with Translator
HKS Blowoff Valve

Tubroback 3” exhaust
ACT XX00
Aftermarket FMIC

No intake, turbo is open
AC Deleted (only compressor)
ABS Deleted
Power Steering Deleted
No Cat in exhaust

Last edited:

desant78

So this is what I’m working with…along with 4 rims that don’t fit the car….also when I picked up the car, noticed at home that my boast controller was missing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif also the rims he swore he put on that fit…didn’t. He left the caliper disconnected so it jammed up the rim locking my front axle. From the trailer to the garage took an hour and half thanks to this problem. Worse part is running a CarFax revealed this car was in an accident in Queen NY in 2003..and a mileage was disputed. Car went from 180,000 to 130000 in two years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

I know it’s not perfect, but I can’t be picky with my budget. I am not looking to cut corners, just make a fun DD out of it. The recent picture is the most recent one after I removed certain parts that where not secured down properly. With a friend We decided that in order to use the turbo and injectors that I would really feel comfortable using something like DSMLink. Since I cannot afford that now, the plan is to convert the car to stock and drive it that way. I was given everything stock, minus the 1g MAF with Belize was nice enough to give me at an amazing price..so thank you.

I also want to add the power steering back...all that was done is the pump was removed, so there is no mechanical advantage. So it is INCREDIBLY hard to move.

Let me know what you think of this plan. I'm hoping with this approach I can not worry about a tune and just drive the car real soon to find what other problems are hidden. Any comments, suggestions will help. Thank you

desant78

Here is list of problems I've noticed in the car, and could use some advice.

1. Can I run a stock tune and injectors with an upgraded fuel pump? I apparently an upgraded fuel pump, do not know which one though.

2. Throttle body and Intake manifold have many screws in them plugging holes, does anyone know the reason?

3. Power steering pump was removed only. Is it as simple as just finding and re installing pump? What do I need to look for?

4. Rims are from a nissan and don't fit...but one side sat crooked. Below is the tire that was on that rim...if the car did cause the rim to be crooked and ruin the tire, what should I look for?

5. Is this a 1g connector for the MAF? Going stock I will be using the original 1g MAF.

6. Anything else I should look at in general?

desant78

Quoting yeti:
ur rescuing a gvr4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

I'm sure gonna try thanks!

fuel

if that's a 2G inlet manifold, make sure you are running a 2G head otherwise the port sizes are going to be mis-matched between the inlet manifold and the head.

dsm10o0

The intake manifold is the stock one. They just shaved the lines.

good luck one this car man.

rgeier11

Okay, some things I have noticed.

1)The car does not have an ABS delete. I can see the ABS pump near the front driver's side headlight.

2)Those vacuum lines at the throttle body are OK if recirculated to each other or plugged off. One of them, I see, is a plastic line. This is more than likely the line that goes to the back of your boost gauge. Use this guide to tap it at the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line. This will give you more accurate boost readings as well as a cleaner engine bay.

3)Don't worry whether or not it is an Evo III exhaust manifold, lets try to get the car running first. Besides, the difference between it and anything else is negligible.

4)Remove the 650cc injectors. Keep them since they will be great once you start to up the boost and have a way to tune them. Install some stock 450cc injectors until you have the knowledge to go faster. These will cost about $50.

5)Remove the GM MAF and Translator. If any original wires have been cut in the car, be sure to reconnect those with solder or some sort of wiring connector. The Translator and MAF can be reinstalled again after getting the car back in running condition. Yes, that is a 1g electrical plug for the 1g airflow sensor. You will need the MAF can/air filter/snorkel that leads to the turbocharger (about $45).

6)Remove the HKS blow-off valve. Install a BOV that can be recirculated back into the intake tube that you should buy in step 5, such as the original 1g BOV ($15 and holds 20psi unmodified).

7)Power steering. More than likely, he removed the power steering because the rear power steering lines were leaking. I would not worry about this problem until you get the car running and driving. This is more for comfort than necessity, so let's focus on you getting down the road.

8)Brakes. It sounds like they were just removed to clear the shitty rims. If you do not know what parts you need to get the brakes back together, just post here again. Odds are, you will at the least need to lube up the slide pins since it sounds like this car has been sitting awhile.

9)Front mount and piping. Obviously, secure the front mount as best you can. Find some metal strap at ACE hardware or Home Depot along with some bolts that fit into unused holes in your car. The piping will need to be dealt with if you are going with the 1g BOV I talked about in step 6. A proper flange for the 1g BOV will be needed. You can get piping from just about anyone on here. A whole factory piping kit with the original intercooler is probably under $100.

RedTwo

What the....?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Remotely mounted brake fluid reservoir? Never seen one of them! Removing the front calipers?!
Wow there's some pretty uhh... crazy stuff going on there...

Yes you can run everything stock with an upgraded fuel pump, but depending on what size the pump is you will probably exceed the capabilities of the factory fuel pressure regulator (you will run very rich). You would be best to fit an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to keep things under control.

It doesn't appear to be a HKS throttle body, but the removable throttle body elbow. I don't think the stock US VR4 intercooler pipes will fit it.

I don't think you can identify a 1g vs 2g head without taking bits off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Nissan wheels wont fit, their center bore is smaller than Mitsubihsi (66.1mm vs 67.1mm). That tyre looks like it's had too much camber, I guess you could have the same effect from a wheel not being fitted propperly.

Doesn't the steering rack seize up if you just remove the P/S pump?!

raptorWagon

^ What do you mean remote location? That brake fluid reservoir is in the stock location. You can run a Power rack with looped lines or as a dry rack. The dry rack version is pretty hard at first, but gets easier with time.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Red Two being from a RHD country will have a different brake setup (on the other side of the car) so it doesn't look normal to him. It is normal for LHD though.

desant78

Wow! thanks everyone so much for the help so far. I haven't been able to do anything to the car...but yesterday I acquired stock intercooler w/ the piping, stock intake and I have stock injectors and rims and tires coming wed.

Today I will be putting in some hours, and updating the thread hopefully.

Hoping to be moving by the end of the week....thanks again to everyone for the help!

DR1665

Good luck to you, sir.

Let's all be thankful the previous owner is no longer an owner.

desant78

Thanks DR1665! I'm pretty happy with the car too. It's a lot of work and fixing ANYTHING the old owner touched...but it's still fun. I am installing the stock intercooler and was wondering if anyone had any pictures of a stock set up...or the order of the piping. I am having an issuing routing it from the intercooler to the intakemanifold.

Any suggestions or even a link to pictures would help greatly. I'll have a lengthy update of the last week tonight..and also every other "surprise" i've found on this abused car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

92GVR4num65

Except that DSM and GVR4 IC pipin is different off the turbo....The DSM has a Jpipe that routes down by the rad while the GVR4s pipe routes off the turbo, over the exhaust mani, down by the driverside headlight, and across the front rad support to the IC...the Talon is a smic while the GVR4 is a kind of fmic...stock that is.

My gvr4

You can see the IC piping along the bottom run up to the IC placed behind the L hole in the crash bar.....

My 1G talon....

img.php

desant78

Hey everyone, first off thank you all so much for all the help so far! This build would be taking so much longer with out it!

So here’s the updated on the progress of the car so far. Thanks to my good friend Throughfaith here on the forum (we go to school together) I got a ton of stock parts!

I mounted the I.C. and noticed that the frame has quite a large ding there..probably from the accident in 2003. I was able to use 2 out of three mounting holes which will do for now. This is just a temporary set up, but it is very secure. When I install the FMIC that came with the car I will make sure to properly using every mount possible.

I am using the J-pipe that came with the car but fabricated an intermediate piece between the turbo and pipe so I can use the stock I.C. piping.(when I get pictures I will show the piece) Also have installed all the stock piping and secure them using most original bolting location. A few parts near the bumper were altered for previous FMIC which gave me more work to make this work. Stock BOV is with the set, and a rubber adapter was used to from the stock piping to the HKS elbow. I don’t’ know how well this will hold up to the pressure or if I will have a leak from it.

I now have an air filter! Also a 1g MAF and stock aircan with all the stock intake piping installed instead of an exposed open turbo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

desant78

Now that I have talked about the progress…here are the “surprises” the previous owner left for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I have no mounting bolts for the driver side caliper and a damaged driver side brake shield. Even cooler is the missing lower timing belt cover (which idk how I missed this on the sale) and the stripped out studs on the front knuckles! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif Both sides looked stripped from the wrong lug nuts that were impossible to remove. Then when I got them off, I tried putting a stock lug nut on and it just won’t start. An oil pressure sensor is needed because oil leaks from it (this was told during the sale at least). Also there are some random wires showing that go no where… /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Here is a running list of parts I am looking for, but keep in mind money is extremely tight as I put myself through school…even if I get the car running great I won’t be in the road until spring I think due to fees like registration, insurance, and inspection. I can walk to school and don’t need a car and might not be able to justify the cost :/ So don’t be offended if you give me an amazing price and I turn you down, it’s simply because of the timing of the project.

Lower timing belt cover

Stock GVR4 Tire Studs

Oil Pressure Sensor

Front Driver Side Brake Shield

Stock Elbow for Throttle Body (I’m not at all happy with the way I have got it hooked up right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif)

desant78

So here are the questions I have thus far in the build….

1. I have a vacuum line from the intake manifold..does that go to the BOV or waste gate for the turbo? (New to turbos, so this is def a learning experience, so I apologize if I an using the wrong terms)

2. Any suggestions on where to get stock studs?

3. The GM translator plugged into the 1g MAF plug and one wire went into the CAM angle sensor…anything I need to do in order to run the car?

4. Also there are two random wires off of two sensors on the thermostat….does they didn’t’ seemed to be attached before but not sure if I need them. Also the fan in front the radiator runs all the time. Not sure if that info helps.

These questions aren’t too hard but I’m sure once I get running, I will probably have thousands more. So thanks to everyone so far for the help

desant78

Quoting 92GVR4num65:
Except that DSM and GVR4 IC pipin is different off the turbo....The DSM has a Jpipe that routes down by the rad while the GVR4s pipe routes off the turbo, over the exhaust mani, down by the driverside headlight, and across the front rad support to the IC...the Talon is a smic while the GVR4 is a kind of fmic...stock that is.

My gvr4

btw Thank you so much! this helped quite a bit! I did have it mostly mounted..but a few minor things this cleared up in seconds and confirmed what I did. So thanks again!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned