The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Can't remove the damn flywheel bolts

I want to get the flywheel off. I have tried heat, 1/2 breaker bars with 17mm deep sockets, pb blaster over and over, torch with heat, and a 1/2 impact wrench (3.5 hp 6 gallon compressor is all I can afford).

Any ideas on how to get these bolts out? The socket goes flying off before I give.

Thanks

atsiauto

How hot are you getting them ? someone may have put red loctite on them , or you are rounding the heads off using a gangsta socket ?
I have seen folks mig weld a large bulky nut on to the short heads of one to get it out , but all of them would blow to do this way .

My bud heats stuff till it glows a lil and then backs them out , be careful though not so sure this is good for the crank and you need oxy/acetylene .

No substitute for a good socket mac matco snap on etc when trying these stubborn bolts .

I am using a propane torch and to be honest with you, I am touching it with my finger after letting it cool for around a minute after torching it for like 5 minutes.

I am using a brand new vatozone deep socket. Is this not good enough? I can remember removing flywheel bolts years ago on a completely different vehicle the sh*t slipped and my fingernail went black!

I hate removing flywheel bolts. I am no he-man but I do my best and it's always a damn hassle.

Ian M

Quote:
Did you try a pipe to get extra leverage?

A lot of times a long piece of pipe for leverage works better than a impact,especially if its one that isn't super torquey or have a compressor with some real ass to push it.

donkeylips

Use a 6-point socket and a pipe. Works every time. Avoid the deep socket btw. I think I've done it with a regular 3/8" ratchet before.

mr.mitsu

Quoting SmoothCustomer:
Are you doing a good enough job keeping it from rotating? ...

I've used a 1/2" breaker bar on the crank pulley.

Holds it just fine.

If there is red loctite, propane might not be hot enough.

Dan D

What kind of impact wrench? Even using just the short bursts avaialble from the little compressor, a good impact can probably knock'em loose. If you're using a cheapo impact, even with real compressor, it doesn't apply enough force. If you know any mechanics, see if you can borrow an IR 2135 or an Aircat 1000 impact wrench.

alansupra94

Yeah...need a legit airgun...I have a craftsman that does 800ft/lbs....IR guns are baller though at like 1000ft/lbs

dsmtalontsi95

The handle of a floor jack works great for a "torque pipe"

dmj

Crank that compressor to 100/110 psi psi and use a good impact gun, worked for me. If that fails use a 6 ft pipe extension/ jack handle over the breaker bar.

donkeylips

My cheap impact gun is completely useless unless I want to change a set of wheels fast. If you're using a 12-point socket you're much more likely to round them off than with a 6-point. 6-point will transmit the force to the bolt in a more effective way. MAPP gas isn't too expensive and it burns hotter than propane.

beaner

I'd be uncomfortable with using heat on the crank. Bolts like to break lose, so you'll probably have better luck with a good sized hammer and a wrench. 6 pt is a good idea to prevent stripped the bolt head.

I made a tool out of scrap metal years back I use all the time. It simply connects the block to the flywheel. Uses one of the pressure plate boltholes on the flywheel and one of the top transmission to block boltholes. With it on you can really torque on those flywheel bolts [either direction] and the engine won't turn on you.

Muskrat

Go to Harbor Freight and get this. It'll do it, even with red lock-tight. How do I know? I just did it 5 minutes ago /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It's pretty big, but comes in really handy.

Last edited:

Barnes

I wonder if that electric impact wrench is any different than the one I have. It looks the same, and is a heap of sh*t. Only reason I got it was because a store around here was closing down and I got it crazy discounted. It can barely remove lug nuts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Muskrat

YMMV? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Buddy of mine and have put it through it's paces for the last year and it still works great. And like I said, I just removed my red lock-tighted flywheel bolts with it. I bent a 1" wide piece of strap steel the long way trying to do it with a breaker bar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

G

Staff member
When you tried "heat" what part exactly did you heat up?

Quoting blkchr91:
I want to get the flywheel off. I have tried heat, 1/2 breaker bars with 17mm deep sockets, pb blaster over and over, torch with heat, and a 1/2 impact wrench (3.5 hp 6 gallon compressor is all I can afford).

Any ideas on how to get these bolts out? The socket goes flying off before I give.

Thanks

thedsmguy

Grind the "guiding" lip off the socket you are using. Make it "flat" on the face of the socket so that you get the most grab out of the socket and it will NOT slip off those short headed bolts.

Good luck.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

dont be afraid to whack the bolts nice and hard, dead center with a nice punch and a 2.5lb hammer.. i've had this help break things loose a great deal when working "out in the field" without air tools

trunks

I always try to get right on them while they're still hot. I've used a propane torch before and seen the red locktite start dripping out of there. Maybe try one at a time and don't let them cool down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts