The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

jdm switchable tranny ?

gmp

hey guys,
I have been looking for a vr4 switchable tranny for some time and there happens to be one for sale here in town.
My question to you all is, if i get the tranny is there a special transfer case that goes with it or can i use the usdm 22 or 23 spline trans case?

My reason for wanting this is im trying to convert a mirage to 4g63t and was wanting to run this tranny in front wheel till i get the chance to do a awd swap someday. Just trying to make it easier in the long run for myself.

TylerAdamson

I'm not 100% sure on this but I remember reading quite some time ago that in order for it to work properly you need both switchable items. Not sure how it would effect you though since you're starting with a fwd car to begin with. If you do need the transfercase I've got one sitting at the shop collecting dust.

fuel

Be aware that the switchable drive feature is just a means to temporarily run in 2WD mode if the rear diff is damaged (in rallying). It is not intended to be run in 2WD mode for an extended period of time.

Muskrat

The switch on the transmission will lock the center diff (similar to running a welded center) The car will then have an even 50/50 torque split.

The Transfer case switch disconnects power to the rear dif.

Because of this you can safely run just the trans, or the trans and the t-case, but not just the t-case. Of course, if you never switch them off it doesn't matter either way :p.

Quote:
Be aware that the switchable drive feature is just a means to temporarily run in 2WD mode if the rear diff is damaged (in rallying). It is not intended to be run in 2WD mode for an extended period of time.

What makes you think it wont be reliable?

alansupra94

^^^^^

I was just going to ask that....if its locked....its locked...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Muskrat

It depends on how it's locked, really. I'm not familiar with the inner workings, but there's a few ways I can think of that could be prone to failure under extended use/abuse.

mitsuturbo

It's entirely likely that it'd be cheaper to just run a stock AWD trans and toss a VCE in it.

gmp

i would thought you have to run the 2g tranny to go that option?
Or maybe not?
Well if i do decide to go this route i would be happy to take that transfer case off your floor collecting dust.

Thanks guys im going to go take a look and see if its worth a sh*t.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
To answer part of your first post:
You can use the stock transfer case.
I pulled a JDM AWD switchable transmission out of a donor car.
The car was a 1991 Talon, and the motor and trans were off an offshore import combination.

gmp

thanks fellers,
i didnt realize its george billings selling the tranny so im going to pay him a visit sometime this week and see what its all about.

fuel

The switchable trans is the older KM225 also, which is what is used in the pre-facelift 87-89 JDM Galant VR-4s rather than the W5M33. Other than the name, I don't know what changes between the two.

gmp

good info for me fuel thanks for the insight.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts