The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

charging issues

yeti

so just changed alternator and had it tested before i put it in and it was good

when i put the alternator in the car the turbo timer never had 13volts it always read 11.0 and would go to 10.9 and back to 11.0

i recharged battery samething

just replaced plugs and took it around the block and got about 8 minutes of drive time (the car stalls everytime i get to a stop anyway) but when it stalled at the stop sign it would not restart.
i had to bump start it going down the road

anyways the voltage read low 10's high 9's so i pulled around back to my house

i went back out half hour later and the voltage was up to 11.0 and it turned right over

i let it run for about 10 minutes (car stalls also when i shoot the rpm's up and let them fall)
so when the rpm's were falling i let it go ahead and stall out to see if it would restart

the car didnt restart so im geussing
dead battery (hopefully)
if not bad wiring on ALTERNATOR??

ANY INPUT IS APPRECIATED

14u2nV

Maybe you should sell your car, and buy something already running.

If your alt went out, it probably drained your battery. If it did that, you may have ruined your battery or you just haven't let it charge up enough to sustain itself. Charge the battery overnight, see if that solves it. If not, test the battery voltage at the battery. if it's below 12, try another one.

*After reading your ALTERNATOR thread (why you started another about the same thing is beyond me) I wonder, did you buy a junkyard alt and never have it tested before you installed it? If so, take your car to Autozone, have them test the alt/battery in car, and go from there. They will do that free here.

Last edited:

yeti

Started new thread cause I don't know if its the alt.

And yes I tested it right before I put it in and yes its from the junkyard.
And sell my gvr4 I could never,

But I had someone at front door who knew what it was had to ask me at 11pm if I wanted 2 sell it

And I get my battery charged at kragen

Diego

Your problem is second hand items. Not to knock again, but if you were to not by Sizzurp everyday or a 8th of MMJ you could buy new parts....... just my .02 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

yeti

Just tested alternator and its dead
Voltage at battery was 12.22

So I'm gonna splurge for a remaned 90amp one
That's my best bet right?
And if I pull this alternator out and its still good should I check alternator wiring

yeti

with engine running the machine had a steady 12.5(could that be because of the 60amp ALT?)
and when i hit throttle the voltage went down to 12.0 and then back up to 12.5
which cars have a good 90 amp alternator that would fit into the old ones spot

Diego

Alright man, quit getting F%$ked around and just buy a saturn alternator.... someone will chime in with it, or maybe you can go abck to your previous post, and re-read all the information we ALREADY explained now not once, not twice, heck this is what, your 4~5th time with the same post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

DR1665

This is very basic, but are you 110% sure your battery connections are clean and tight, and that your ground strap is likewise?

My car was stalling out and running like ass after about 15 minutes of cruising with the lights/radio on. I put the meter on it when I got home and, well, sh*t.

Just take a look at this on Tarmac & Gravel.

yeti

Read all the way threw the "tarmac and gravel"

Terminals are new and tight
Where is the ground strap located?

Diego
Went threw old threads and looked at alternator list you gave me
Considering the 75amp one but I have this at my house and want to rebuild

But if I'm paying 100+ for an alternator should I. Search for a 90amp

DR1665

Ground strap goes from the negative terminal to the wheel well right behind the battery. Follow the negative wire to where it's bolted to the car.

yeti

ground strap located right here

img.php

yeti

i took old alternator that was originally in the car and took it to the alternator repair shop
he took it apart and said it was fine,had a little bit of oil in it but said the machine read at 80 amp's
and should be working fine

i recharged battery at kragen they said it was perfect

i bought the rebuilt one for 90
i will put it in but everyone knows how long that will take

should i try and replace the old alternator wiring?
or something else i should check?

524of1000

On your battery ground, Is the end terminal a metal to metal contact or is there paint in between the metal and the terminal? You want it to be a metal to metal connection.

brisvr4

When I had my battery in the boot I used one of the strut bolts for the ground strap. Seems to have a better connection direct to the chassis with that.

yeti

wiring for the alternator looks likes it had electrical tape holding it together
any way to test to see if that's the problem

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts