The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

car starts without CLUTCH?

yeti

ANY IDEAS?
maybe PREVIOUS OWNER did something
or is this normal?
since these cars are
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Check the clutch pedal. there is a switch (plunger, press type) the clutch pedal lever presses in. Maybe its disconnected or disabled.

edit again...

My 3000gt starts without a clutch because it has remote start. If you have remote start then that is why.

edit yet again...

The galant plastic nipple that presses this clutch switch in from the level can become old, fall off, whatever.

I use a large zip thigh to replace this (just zip one in there and cut off the remainder. Why they didnt make a medal one or just kept the hole filled is beyond me.

Maybe this is what happened and the past owner disabled the switch. You cant drag race without a clutch safety switch, so keep that in mind.

You will understand what im talking about once you inspect your clutch pedal. If you dont see a white plastic part that could press the clutch switch, then its missing. Then you will only see a hole where something should go to press the clutch sensor in.

hell, maybe your switch is even missing.

Last edited by a moderator:

here is a pic of a toyota, similar design.

Hope this helps.

1.htm152.gif

As you can see the pedal has a plug on it that hits the switch. I found ours gets old and falls off. Maybe they use this to prolong the life of the plastic switch, i dont know.

But this is how the clutch start switch works. If the plug fell out and the past owner disabled the clutch switch, then you have the option of leaving it alone, or digging in there and looking at the switch and wiring.

Post some pics if you find something interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

yeti

I don't have a remote start

So its probably the switch your talking about

Any more tips on where to specifically look or will it be easy to notice

I'm about 2 check this in a few minutes

mpt72

Push the clutch down, and see where the pedal goes. Follow the metal up, and it should be right there. Also, maybe the previous owner disabled it, by unplugging it and using a wire to bypass it.

Mine does the same thing, no big deal. More than likely the previous owner removed the start switch.

mitsuturbo

Why would you want to RE ENABLE This bullshit "feature"?
Every 4g63 powered car i have had.. first thing, i disable that sh*t. Saves on thrust bearing wear, saves on pain in the ass factor... it's just there because...

um..

on second thought.. you should re-enable the switch. ASAP

Quoting mitsuturbo:
Every 4g63 powered car i have had.. first thing, i disable that sh*t. Saves on thrust bearing wear, saves on pain in the ass factor... it's just there because...

um..

Whoa, thats confusing but I like it.

mitsuturbo

That statement didnt apply to you, RedBird. It was intended solely for "he who hath thy hairy turbo".

SouthCaliVR4

Quoting mitsuturbo:

um..

ISWYDT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Quoting mitsuturbo:
That statement didnt apply to you, RedBird. It was intended solely for "he who hath thy hairy turbo".

I didn't think it was, I like how you put it though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Adorsey

I like it without it. Run out to the car on a cold morning, reach in and start her up, and run back inside. Dont even have to get in the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif
sh*t is great. IMO.

muahahahah

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
And if you use a turbo timer and set the parking brake, it is ready to go!

mitsuturbo

In 1411, I dont think my cooling fan ran when the timer was counting down. I had to be careful not to set the timer for too long or it would overheat.

SouthCaliVR4

Manufacturers started putting those in to keep people from starting the car in gear. Sometimes "tasty mintz" make you forget things, like that your car is in gear. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif You kinda bought yourself the title of resident head, you're just gonna have to deal with these jokes now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

SleepinGVR4

Mine does the same thing. But even when the clutch switch is connected. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I kinda need to figure out why its not working so my 2-step will work.

steve

Quoting yeti:
turbo timer is set to Ebrake

and what is the reason i should reinstall switch, just because i am retarded?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

If you should have a brain fart and forget, or if someone else should try to start your car without knowing any better, you will be in for a world of hurt. If you're forgetful (ahem) it is probably best to hook it back up.

yeti

Quoting yeti:

and what is the reason i should reinstall switch, just because i am retarded?

Just tryin 2 make sure I understand

I know these jokes are far from the end /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And for the switch , it gets hit buy the clutch but looks like the other side of the connecter is not plugged in and I can't see any plugs around it that match

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned