The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#777 has a new home!

moduleunknown

That's right. Third time is a charm I guess.

My third GVR4 and I finally have one with a badge (and the key fob!). I wanted this car the first time I saw it in the for sale section a while back. I couldn't pass it up this time.

With the amount of body work my other '91 summit white needs, this seemed like the logical choice. I'll be moving a few things from my ???? to 777 soon. JDM Front and rear bumpers (already white), JDM JIC exhaust, complete evo interior, 5lug parts, ABS delete, 4-bolt LSD rear, the front subframe, control arms, and engine mounts I had powdercoated along with a new 1G GSX steering rack and polyurethane bushings everywhere up front...

Once that's done, the old ????/2000 goes off to a friend who plans to complete it (with my help and plethora of spare parts). Can't say I've entirely given up on it!

In the meantime though (and before any of the above happens), I'll be addressing a few maintenance items. Timing belt, water pump, seals, gaskets (couple minor leaks), fluids, etc. Just the norm. Fun filled weekend coming soon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

dsm10o0

Congrats on the buy man. That car looked sweet when i saw it.

Tre3zy

cool.... take some pix and keep us updated

moduleunknown

At the moment, it looks just as it did in the for sale section.

All I've done so far is put on my evo viii steering wheel, stock upper and lower heat shield since they were missing, and replace the intercooler piping/hose from the compressor outlet.

Started looking over the car a bit and found this:

An oil covered timing belt with a chunk missing. So, before anything else happens (or the car even moves), that needs to be addressed. I already have a few parts, but need to order some seals, acc belts, balance shaft belt, water pump, basically replace anything that could be leaking on that side of the engine, and also do the valve cover gasket and put on a nicer looking valve cover that I have laying around.

Once that's done I'll probably drive it for a bit in stock form before I really get to work on it. Then I'll have some pics!

When you redo the timing belt check the oil pan bolts and make sure the two bolts
that goes into where the oil pump/housing is located are the short one's.Before I
knew better I had some idiot do my timing belt and he put the longer oil pan bolts
instead of the short ones which proceeded to cut into the timing belt...

moduleunknown

What a weekend! I think #777 is now ready to hit the road!

First, the timing belt. Earlier in the thread you'll find a pic of the oily timing belt with a chunk missing, but here's what else I found -

All other timing marks are lined up. What the... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

And can we say oil!?

So, I think I found the leak. It appeared to be leaking from a freeze plug on the head (between the cam gears). Time will tell if I fixed it.

On top of that, the damaged belt, and timing being off... the timing belt tensioner pulley was installed flipped over and the lower cover bolts around the center (near/on the water pump) were left off which allowed the cover to bow out and the A/C and power steering belts to dig in to the cover.

That's all fixed now. New timing belt, bs belt, water pump, tensioners, pulleys, seals, acc belts, and a good cleaning! All bolts back in, acc belts have clearance now, timing is dead on. Car runs smoother! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I also replaced the valve cover and spark plug hole gaskets (and swapped on a nicer valve cover). See old one in first pic.

Beyond that, all four tires needed replacing. One had a bad leak while the others were corded and/or showing steel. I had a good set on some 2Gb GST wheels, so, the logical choice was to do the 5-lug swap. Done! We're rolling. (no pics, iphone doesn't do well in the dark)

On top of that, threw on a K&N for good measure.

Tomorrow we see how see does with some 70mile round trip daily driving duties while the Evo remains in the body shop for repairs.

Save the JDM bumper install and Evo seat install for another weekend...

G

Staff member
Nice find.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned