The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GVR4 died in the middle of the road...clutch won't engage

I was running high boost checking for boost fade and suddenly it lost power. I was waiting for it to be the timing belt but no grinding etc. I got it on the shoulder of a narrow two lane road and tried to get it to go.

These are the symptoms:

Press the clutch pedal in and there is a weird chattering noise. It also makes a tiny bit of this chattering noise in neutral with the clutch pedal not being depressed. Car goes into gear without the clutch pedal being pressed like butter but doesn't go anywhere.

I guess it is clutch related? The slave cylinder is perfect....it move the plunger and fork to the tranny just perfect. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

gtluke

Sounds like the disc broke, or got completely fried

Rausch

Quoting gtluke:
Sounds like the disc broke, or got completely fried

+1

Or pressure plate failure, Bolts left the building, something.

alansupra94

+1 I would agree too. Looks like someone needs to use the clutch a little less /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Lol, thanks all! Just going down the road at 20 psi in gear without the clutch pedal being touched. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

alansupra94

Weird? Bad throw out bearing possibly? Not sure what would cause this.

Maybe, I have heard a whining from the drivetrain about a month prior. Almost like a whistle. Drivetrain was noisy overall due to the PTT, so I thought the noise was normal. Hopefully it isn't too bad or expensive in there!

Last edited by a moderator:

I was reading that this could be a bad axle or something like that. Is this at all possible? How can I confirm?

Thanks

NYC86ZC

If it's a bad axle (as in a bad joint) you should see the inner part of the axle that's closest to the trans move or spin when in gear. The outside end will not move if it's a bad axle.

Last edited:

NYC86ZC

If you can't get it in gear that means you can't disengage the clutch. Do you still have pressure on the pedal? If not, it may be a broken fork. Have someone look at the slave when you hit the pedal to see if it moves.

If you have pressure on the pedal and the slave is moving the fork then it definitely sounds clutch related. Maybe you popped a spring or ripped apart the clutch.

It looks like you'll have to pull the trans to see what's going on in there.

its the clutch same thing happened to me about a month ago running 20psi clutch springs shot out went with an ACT2600 much better

4thStroke

Last time I was able to shift gears without the clutch pedal pressed in and the motor running was when I shredded 3rd gear. Just sayin.

How much power are you making?

Well it is not that type of "can't get it into gear". It is more like there is no connection from the driveline to the wheels. It goes into all of the gears and nothing happens.

Quoting NYC86ZC:
If you can't get it in gear that means you can't disengage the clutch. Do you still have pressure on the pedal? If not, it may be a broken fork. Have someone look at the slave when you hit the pedal to see if it moves.

If you have pressure on the pedal and the slave is moving the fork then it definitely sounds clutch related. Maybe you popped a spring or ripped apart the clutch.

It looks like you'll have to pull the trans to see what's going on in there.

ACT2600 better than a PTT? I thought that a PTT was supposed to be better...just saying.

Quoting thomas4g63t:
its the clutch same thing happened to me about a month ago running 20psi clutch springs shot out went with an ACT2600 much better

Wow that would stink. Not much more than 300 AWHP if that I would guess...tough to tell.

Quoting 4thStroke:
Last time I was able to shift gears without the clutch pedal pressed in and the motor running was when I shredded 3rd gear. Just sayin.

How much power are you making?

brisvr4

Just to throw another suggestion into the mix, your input shaft could actually be broken just where it goes into the box.
I have seen a couple of these break with very little power input at the time of actual breakage.
I'd say the only way to tell is to drop the box though.

brisvr4

If it is the input shaft then yes, you will be able to turn it with no resistance.
You might also want to just drop the trans fluid to see if there is any crap in it before doing anything else.
What ever we suggest is really just shooting in the dark until you really dig into it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts